Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Suspended Florida prosecutor tells state Supreme Court that DeSantis exceeded his authority -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:Suspended Florida prosecutor tells state Supreme Court that DeSantis exceeded his authority
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:12:10
TALLAHASSEE,SafeX Pro Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis exceeded his authority when he removed a Democratic prosecutor from her elected office after a teenager fatally shot a girl and a news reporter, her attorney told the Supreme Court on Wednesday.
The state constitution only allows for the suspension of an elected official for egregious misconduct, and Monique Worrell was simply doing her job as she sees fit — not anything illegal or negligent — when DeSantis suspended her, said her lawyer, Laura Ferguson.
“It is the voters, not the governor, to whom Ms. Worrell is accountable,” Ferguson said.
But an attorney for DeSantis said Worrell’s history of failing to prosecute crimes committed by minors and in not seeking mandatory minimum sentences for gun crimes put the public in danger in her central Florida district. Statistics show that Orlando and the surrounding area were grossly underperforming compared with other prosecutorial districts in the state, lawyer Jeffrey DeSousa said.
If “it just turned out that Ms. Worrell was not just very effective at prosecuting crime, and the data I think does prove that ... I would think that would be enough. Now practice and policies make that even stronger,” DeSousa said.
DeSantis’ office began investigating Worrell earlier this year after 19-year-old Keith Moses was charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Spectrum News 13 reporter Dylan Lyons, Nathacha Augustin and 9-year-old T’yonna Major. The girl’s mother and Spectrum News 13 photographer Jesse Walden were also shot.
Shortly after the shooting, DeSantis’ general counsel said in a letter to Worrell that she had previously failed to hold Moses accountable for crimes he allegedly committed before the deaths. The letter noted that Moses was arrested during a traffic stop in November 2021 for cannabis possession. According to a police report, a deputy witnessed a gun being thrown out of the car window as it was being pulled over. The three occupants had ski masks and past firearm charges, including Moses, who was on juvenile felony probation.
The Orange County Sheriff’s Office deputy charged Moses with a drug offense and not a firearm offense. The case was dismissed the following month after prosecutors concluded it wasn’t suitable to pursue.
DeSantis is one of a number of Republicans in various jurisdictions across the U.S. who have called into question decisions from Democratic prosecutors.
DeSantis last year removed State Attorney Andrew Warren, a twice-elected Democrat in Tampa, after he pledged not to pursue criminal charges against seekers or providers of abortion or gender-transition treatments. He also had a policy of not bringing charges against people for certain low-level crimes.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- The Best Kid-Friendly Hotels & Resorts in the U.S. (That Are Fun for Parents, Too)
- Untangling the Heartbreaking Timeline Leading Up to Gabby Petito's Death
- The 'Bridgerton' pair no one is talking about: Lady Whistledown and Queen Charlotte
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- England vs. Serbia: Why Three Lions will (or won't) win Euro 2024 to end trophy drought
- Judge could soon set trial date for man charged in killings of 4 University of Idaho students
- Judge issues ruling in bankruptcy case of Deion Sanders' son Shilo
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- A man died after falling into a manure tanker at a New York farm. A second man who tried to help also fell in and died.
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Sean Lowe and Catherine Giudici Warn Bachelor Couples Not to Fall Into This Trap
- Rob Lowe Shares How He and Son John Owen Have Bonded Over Sobriety
- You may owe the IRS money on Monday — skipping payment could cost you hundreds of dollars
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Justice Department says it won't prosecute Merrick Garland after House contempt vote
- 'It was just awful': 66-year-old woman fatally struck by police truck on South Carolina beach
- Princess Kate shares health update on cancer treatment, announces first public appearance in months
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Why Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag Say 6-Year-Old Son Gunner Is Ready for His YouTube Career
Donating blood makes my skin look great. Giving blood is good for you.
Here's what Pat Sajak is doing next after 'Wheel of Fortune' exit
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Prince William, Kate Middleton and Kids Have Royally Sweet Family Outing at Trooping the Colour 2024
2 killed and several wounded in shooting during a Juneteenth celebration in a Texas park
The fizz is gone: Atlanta’s former Coca-Cola museum demolished for parking lot