Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Maine shooting suspect was 'behaving erratically' during summer: Defense official -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Maine shooting suspect was 'behaving erratically' during summer: Defense official
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:36:07
A manhunt is Will Sage Astorunderway for the suspect in a mass shooting in Maine that killed at least 18 people and wounded 13 others, officials said.
The mass shooting unfolded in two locations in Lewiston on Wednesday evening: a bowling alley where a children's league was taking place and a local bar, officials said.
The Androscoggin County Sheriff's Office released a photo Tuesday night of the suspect brandishing a semi-automatic rifle at one of the locations.
The suspected gunman -- identified as 40-year-old Robert Card -- has been a U.S. Army reservist since December 2002, the Army confirmed. His current rank is as a sergeant first class and his job is a petroleum supply specialist. He has no combat deployments.
Authorities found the suspect’s white Subaru at a location in Lisbon, several miles southeast of Lewiston, Wednesday night, sources said. The abandoned car was a critical piece of evidence in allowing police to focus on Card, multiple law enforcement officials told ABC News.
An arrest warrant has been issued against Card for eight counts of murder for the victims who have been identified so far, officials said. The arrest warrant will be updated when the other 10 victims are identified.
"Mr. Card is considered armed and dangerous, and police advise that Maine people should not approach him under any circumstances," Maine Gov. Janet Mills said during a press briefing on Wednesday.
MORE: Maine mass shooting live updates
Maine officials did not speak to a potential motive, but said they are looking into Card's mental health when asked during the press briefing about his background and gun possession.
"I know that we will be reviewing that information as we move forward, but that's not an answer that we're prepared to give today," Maine Department of Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck said.
"There’s still an active search for the suspect in question," he said.
A U.S. Defense Department official confirmed to ABC News that Card was "behaving erratically" while deployed over the summer with his Army Reserve Unit to Camp Smith Training Center in upstate New York to support summer training for West Point cadets.
Leaders of the Army Reserve's 3rd Battalion, 304th Infantry Regiment informed garrison staff at the training site about his behavior on July 17, the defense official said.
"Out of concern for his safety, the unit requested that law enforcement be contacted," the official said.
MORE: Maine shooting timeline: How the mass shootings in Lewiston unfolded
New York State Police officers responded and transported Card to Keller Army Community Hospital at the U.S. Military Academy for medical evaluation, the official said.
New York State Police has stationed armed troopers at the entrances to Camp Smith as a precaution to beef up the armed security, according to the official.
No further details were released by the official.
Card was not assigned to West Point as any sort of instructor, including firearms, an academy official told ABC News.
"While his unit supported West Point summer training, our records indicate he did not instruct nor have any interactions with cadets in training," the official said.
Card's military service awards include the Army Achievement Medal, Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal, Humanitarian Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal and Army Service Ribbon.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- The Big 3 automakers now have record offers on the table. UAW says they can do more
- Spain’s leader mulls granting amnesty to thousands of Catalan separatists in order to stay in power
- Abreu, Alvarez and Altuve power Astros’ rout of Rangers in Game 4 to even ALCS
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Trucks mass at Gaza border as they wait to bring aid to desperate Palestinians
- Israeli reservists in US leave behind proud, worried families
- Amazon launches drone delivery program for prescription medications
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Hurricane Norma heads for Mexico’s Los Cabos resorts, as Tammy becomes hurricane in the Atlantic
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- 'Maxine's Baby: The Tyler Perry Story' shows how the famous filmmaker overcame abuse, industry pushback
- Natalee Holloway fought like hell moments before death, her mom says after Joran van der Sloot's murder confession
- Britney Spears Sets the Record Straight on Wild Outings With Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Hearing in Trump classified documents case addresses a possible conflict for a co-defendant’s lawyer
- Former Florida lawmaker who sponsored ‘Don’t Say Gay’ sentenced to prison for COVID-19 relief fraud
- For author Haruki Murakami, reading fiction helps us ‘see through lies’ in a world divided by walls
Recommendation
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Youth football team suspended after parent allegedly shoots coach in front of kids
No gun, no car, no living witnesses against man charged in Tupac Shakur killing, defense lawyer says
Taylor Swift reacts to Sabrina Carpenter's cover of 'I Knew You Were Trouble'
Small twin
Nigerians remember those killed or detained in the 2020 protests against police brutality
Megan Thee Stallion and former record label 1501 Entertainment settle 3-year legal battle
Police on the hunt for man after Maryland judge killed in his driveway