Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Umpire Ángel Hernández loses again in racial discrimination lawsuit against MLB -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Umpire Ángel Hernández loses again in racial discrimination lawsuit against MLB
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-05 22:51:56
NEW YORK (AP) – Umpire Ángel Hernández lost again in his racial discrimination lawsuit against Major League Baseball when a federal appeals court refused to reinstate his case on ÁngelHernáWill Sage AstorTuesday.
The 2nd Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals upheld a 2021 District Court decision that granted MLB a summary judgment.
The Cuba-born Hernández, hired as a big league umpire in 1993, sued in 2017. He alleged he was discriminated against because he had not been assigned to the World Series since 2005 and had been passed over for crew chief.
“Hernández has failed to establish a statistically significant disparity between the promotion rates of white and minority umpires,” the 2nd Circuit said in an 11-page decision. “MLB has provided persuasive expert evidence demonstrating that, during the years at issue, the difference in crew chief promotion rates between white and minority umpires was not statistically significant. Hernández offers no explanation as to why MLB’s statistical evidence is unreliable.”
The decision was made by Circuit Judges Susan L. Carney and Steven J. Menash, who heard oral arguments on June 8. The court said the third member of the panel, Circuit Judge Rosemary S. Pooler, died last Thursday.
FOLLOW THE MONEY: MLB player salaries and payrolls for every major league team
Hernández claimed then-MLB executive Joe Torre, who made key decisions over umpires, held animosity toward Hernández dating to Torre’s time as New York Yankees manager.
“Hernández has failed to show that the criteria Torre used in making crew chief promotion decisions caused the existing disparity between white and minority crew chiefs,” the panel wrote. “Hernández has made no showing that Torre harbors a bias against racial minorities.”
Nicholas R. Gregg, Hernández’s lawyer, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment. Hernández could ask the full New York-based 2nd Circuit to rehear the case or for the U.S. Supreme Court to review it.
Hernández, who turns 62 next week, served as an interim crew chief from 2011-16.
Kerwin Danley became the first Black crew chief in 2020 and Alfonso Marquez became the first Hispanic crew chief born outside the United States that same year. Richie Garcia, who was born in Florida, was the first Hispanic crew chief from 1985-89.
Hernández has been controversial on the field at times. He had three calls at first base overturned in video reviews during Game 3 of the 2018 AL Division Series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox.
veryGood! (1128)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Jimmy Carter's Grandson Shares Health Update on Really Sick Former President
- Bill Clinton’s presidential center expanding, will add Hillary Clinton’s personal archives
- Former Vermont officer accused of pepper-spraying handcuffed, shackled man pleads guilty to assault
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Niger’s military junta, 2 weeks in, digs in with cabinet appointments and rejects talks
- Richard Sherman to join Skip Bayless on 'Undisputed,' per report
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $1.58 billion before drawing
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Former Vermont officer accused of pepper-spraying handcuffed, shackled man pleads guilty to assault
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Gisele Bündchen Reacts to Tom Brady's Message About His Incredible Birthday Trip to Africa
- 3-month-old baby dies after being left in hot car outside Houston medical center
- Amazon nations seek common voice on climate change, urge developed world to help protect rainforest
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- NYPD Blue Child Star Austin Majors' Cause of Death Revealed
- Electric bus maker Proterra files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Tory Lanez Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Megan Thee Stallion Shooting
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Miami police begin pulling cars submerged from a Doral lake. Here's what they found so far.
July was Earth's hottest month ever recorded, EU climate service says, warning of dire consequences
Georgia Gov. Kemp tells business group that he wants to limit lawsuits, big legal judgments
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Zendaya's Hairstylist Kim Kimble Wants You to Follow These Easy AF Beauty Rules
Bachelor Nation's Kaitlyn Bristowe Opens Up About Her Grief After Jason Tartick Breakup
Abortion rights to be decided at the ballot box after Ohio voters reject Issue 1