Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:‘ER’ creator Michael Crichton’s estate sues Warner Bros. over upcoming hospital drama ‘The Pitt’ -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:‘ER’ creator Michael Crichton’s estate sues Warner Bros. over upcoming hospital drama ‘The Pitt’
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 00:49:00
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The SafeX Proestate of Michael Crichton, who wrote the screenplay for what became the pilot episode of “ER,” has sued Warner Bros. Television over a dispute about an upcoming medical drama it says is a rebranded version of an unauthorized reboot.
After Crichton’s estate, led by his widow, Sherri, could not reach an agreement with the television studio to produce a reboot of the famed medial procedural, the lawsuit alleges Warner Bros. proceeded to develop and produce a series based on the same premise without consent.
The upcoming series, titled “The Pitt,” will be a medical drama set in Pittsburgh, as opposed to “ER’s” Chicago setting, and will feature Noah Wyle in a starring role. Wyle is best known for playing John Carter on “ER” in over 250 episodes.
“The Pitt” is also set to include several “ER” alums behind-the-scenes, including John Wells as the executive producer and R. Scott Gemmill as the showrunner. Wyle, Wells and Gemmill are each named defendants in the suit.
Because of Crichton’s success with projects including “Jurassic Park” and “Westworld” before “ER” was developed, he secured a coveted “frozen rights” provision in his contract for the series. The provision prohibits Warner Bros. from proceeding with any sequels, remakes, spinoffs or other productions derived from “ER” without Crichton’s consent, or his estate’s consent after his death from cancer in 2008.
“If Warner Bros. can do this to Michael Crichton, one of the industry’s most successful and prolific creators who made the studio billions over the course of their partnership, no creator is safe,” a spokesperson for Sherri Crichton said in a statement to The Associated Press. “While litigation is never the preferred course of action, contracts must be enforced, and Michael Crichton’s legacy must be protected.”
The estate, which filed the lawsuit Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, is asking the judge to issue an injunction that would force the studio to stop production on the new series, and they are also seeking punitive and compensatory damages.
Warner Bros. began developing a reboot of “ER” for HBO’s streamer, Max, in 2020 without Sherri’s knowledge, according to the lawsuit.
In 2022, when Sherri Crichton was informed of the developing project, she and the estate engaged in negotiations with the studio, through which she says she was promised that Crichton would get a “created by” credit, backed by a $5 million guarantee for the estate in the event the credit was not given. Ultimately, the term was revoked and negotiations stopped, which the lawsuit states should have ceased all development of the series.
Development continued on, and “The Pitt” was announced in March. A release date has yet to be announced.
“The Pitt is ER. It’s not like ER, it’s not kind of ER, it’s not sort of ER. It is ER complete with the same executive producer, writer, star, production companies, studio, and network as the planned ER reboot,” lawyers representing Crichton’s estate wrote in the lawsuit.
The lawsuit also alleges that Warner Bros. had previously tried to “erase” Crichton from derivatives for his work by downgrading his credit in the 2016 series based off his movie, “Westworld,” from “created by” to “based on,” which they say started “a disturbing pattern.”
Warner Bros. Television has not yet issued a statement regarding the lawsuit.
veryGood! (53)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Russia says Moscow and Crimea hit by Ukrainian drones while Russian forces bombard Ukraine’s south
- Inside Ariana Madix's 38th Birthday With Boyfriend Daniel Wai & Her Vanderpump Rules Family
- In-N-Out to ban employees in 5 states from wearing masks
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Indigenous Climate Activists Arrested After ‘Occupying’ US Department of Interior
- Why platforms like HBO Max are removing streaming TV shows
- In Baltimore Schools, Cutting Food Waste as a Lesson in Climate Awareness and Environmental Literacy
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Brother of San Francisco mayor gets sentence reduced for role in girlfriend’s 2000 death
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- 3 women killed, baby wounded in shooting at Tulsa apartment
- Stranger Things' Noah Schnapp Shares Glimpse Inside His First Pride Celebration
- This $40 Portable Vacuum With 144,600+ Five-Star Amazon Reviews Is On Sale for Just $24
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Biden’s Pick for the EPA’s Top Air Pollution Job Finds Himself Caught in the Crossfire
- Silicon Valley Bank's fall shows how tech can push a financial panic into hyperdrive
- With Increased Nutrient Pollution in the Chesapeake Bay, Environmentalists Hope a New Law Will Cleanup Wastewater Treatment in Maryland
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Dancing With the Stars Alum Mark Ballas Expecting First Baby With Wife BC Jean
We found the 'missing workers'
Officer who put woman in police car hit by train didn’t know it was on the tracks, defense says
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Got a question for Twitter's press team? The answer will be a poop emoji
Indigenous Women in Peru Seek to Turn the Tables on Big Oil, Asserting ‘Rights of Nature’ to Fight Epic Spills
Warming Trends: Extracting Data From Pictures, Paying Attention to the ‘Twilight Zone,’ and Making Climate Change Movies With Edge