Current:Home > NewsPrince Harry and Meghan asked to vacate royal Frogmore Cottage home as it's reportedly offered to Prince Andrew -Capitatum
Prince Harry and Meghan asked to vacate royal Frogmore Cottage home as it's reportedly offered to Prince Andrew
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:47:45
London — Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have been asked "to vacate" their home in the U.K., Frogmore Cottage, which was given to them by the late Queen Elizabeth II, a spokesperson from the couple's Archewell organization said Wednesday. The statement came after a report in a British newspaper said they had been asked to give up the house by King Charles III, and it was being offered to King Charles' disgraced brother Prince Andrew, who is "resisting" taking up residence in the royal abode, according to the tabloid.
Harry and Meghan, who gave up their full-time royal duties and now live in California with their two children, are arranging to move the rest of their belongings out of the cottage and have them shipped to the U.S., The Sun said.
A spokesperson from Harry and Meghan's Archewell organization said in a statement to CBS News on Wednesday: "We can confirm The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage."
Buckingham Palace offered no comment on the story, and generally does not speak about matters the royal family considers private.
Frogmore Cottage sits on the sprawling grounds of Windsor Castle, the primary home of Britain's monarchs for hundreds of years, just west of London. Harry and Meghan renovated the cottage between 2018 and 2019 at a cost of about 2.4 million pounds (about $2.9 million). The makeover was initially paid for by U.K. taxpayers via the royal family's "Sovereign Grant," but the cost was repaid by Prince Harry.
According to The Sun, after paying back the cost of the renovations, Harry made a deal with his family to continue renting the home for "several years."
After moving to live full-time in California, the couple still kept Frogmore Cottage as their U.K. residence. They celebrated their daughter Lilibet's first birthday there last year and also used it when they came to attend Queen Elizabeth's funeral.
But given the acrimony between the young royals and Harry's family, reportedly strained further by the publication of Harry's tell-all book "Spare" in January, they have largely kept their distance.
In 2020, Harry's cousin Princess Eugenie, Andrew's daughter, and her husband stayed at Frogmore Cottage, but the pair have since moved.
Harry and Meghan were given an eviction notice days after the release of Harry's book, The Sun said, and they have not been offered an alternative U.K. residence by the royal family.
Prince Andrew could reportedly lose his current home on the grounds of the Windsor estate, which he shares with his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, because King Charles is planning on slashing his brother's royal grant, which is effectively an allowance of more than 250,000 pounds per year, The Sun reports.
It remains unclear if Harry and Meghan will be invited to King Charles' coronation ceremony in May.
- In:
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (97)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Nayeon of TWICE on her comeback, second album: 'I wanted to show a new and fresher side'
- Weekend of graduation ceremonies begins at California universities without major war protests
- Judge orders retrial of civil case against contractor accused of abuse at Abu Ghraib
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- New Jersey casino and sports betting revenue was nearly $510 million in May, up 8.3%
- Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 Max goes into Dutch roll during Phoenix-to-Oakland flight
- Brittany Mahomes Shares Glimpse Into Workout Progress After Fracturing Her Back
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- G7 leaders tackle the issue of migration on the second day of their summit in Italy
Ranking
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Indian doctor says he found part of a human finger in his ice cream cone
- Connecticut-sized dead zone expected to emerge in Gulf of Mexico, potentially killing marine life, NOAA warns
- Connecticut-sized dead zone expected to emerge in Gulf of Mexico, potentially killing marine life, NOAA warns
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Virginia city repeals ban on psychic readings as industry grows and gains more acceptance
- Olympic video games? What to know about Olympic Esports Games coming soon
- A Virginia school board restored Confederate names. Now the NAACP is suing.
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
U.S. customs officer accused of letting drug-filled cars enter from Mexico, spending bribe money on gifts, strip clubs
What College World Series games are on Friday? Schedule, how to watch Men's CWS
What is intermittent fasting? The diet plan loved by Jennifer Aniston, Jimmy Kimmel and more
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
R.E.M. reunite at Songwriters Hall of Fame ceremony also honoring Timbaland and Steely Dan
'Golden Bachelor' stars Gerry Turner and Theresa Nist finalize divorce after split
Illinois lawmakers unable to respond to governor’s prison plan because they lack quorum