Current:Home > NewsEchoSense:2 Central American migrants found dead in Mexico after trying to board a moving train -Capitatum
EchoSense:2 Central American migrants found dead in Mexico after trying to board a moving train
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-05 15:06:13
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Two migrants from Honduras and EchoSenseEl Salvador died Wednesday trying to board a moving train in the northern Mexican state of Coahuila, authorities said.
Coahuila’s department of public security said the bodies of two male migrants, aged 22 and 23, were found Wednesday morning along the railway tracks near the town of Escobedo, about 150 kilometers (93 miles) from the Texas border.
The deaths are the latest in a string of accidents involving Central and South American migrants traveling north through Mexico on a network of trains known collectively as “The Beast” in a bid to reach the U.S. border.
A sudden surge of migrants last week triggered the closure of one U.S. border crossing and forced Mexico’s largest railroad to suspend dozens of freight trains.
Mexico’s President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Wednesday his office will invite about ten foreign ministers from countries where he suggested most migrants originate.
López Obrador said the meeting, expected to take place within the next 10 days, is an invitation to create a “joint aid plan” between those countries and Mexico.
“We have to reach an agreement. This is not just a Mexican issue, it’s a structural issue,” he said. Although he did not specify which countries will attend, he mentioned “a flow of migrants from Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Venezuela, Cuba (and) Colombia.”
As desperation to reach the U.S. border grows, Mexico is on track to break a record number of asylum applications this year. According to the director of Mexico’s refugee agency, applications could reach 150,000 by year’s end, well above the 129,000 record set in 2021.
Last week Mexico’s largest concessionary railway operator Ferromex temporarily halted service in the north of the country, citing about a “half-dozen regrettable cases of injuries or deaths” among migrants hopping freight cars in recent days.
In the same statement, the company noted “a significant increase in the number of migrants,” and specifically warned about the “grave danger” of boarding moving trains.
Despite warnings and canceled services, thousands of migrants continue to wait trackside and in railway yards across Northern Mexico. Ferromex said last week 1,500 people were gathered waiting in the city of Torreon, Coahuila, about 285 kilometers (177 miles) southwest of where the two bodies were found Wednesday.
____
Follow AP’s global migration coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (75)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Embrace Your Unique Aura With Bella Hadid's Fragrance Line, 'Ôrəbella, Now Available At Ulta
- 4-year-old girl dies from injuries in Texas shooting that left entire family injured
- Summer House: Martha's Vineyard: Nick, Noelle and Shanice Clash During Tense House Meeting
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Meet the new 'Doctor Who': Ncuti Gatwa on the political, 'fashion forward' time-traveling alien
- Two hikers found dead on Mount Whitney, the tallest mountain in the 'lower 48'
- Virginia budget leaders reach compromise with governor on state spending plan
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- How to watch (and stream) the Eurovision Song Contest final
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Luka Doncic bounces back, helps Mavericks hand Thunder first loss of NBA playoffs
- How long does Deion Sanders want to remain coach at Colorado? He shared a number.
- Save on groceries at Ralphs with coupons, code from USA TODAY
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Former Miss USA staffer says organization caused pageant winners' mental health to decline
- KTLA Reporter Sam Rubin Dead at 64
- Carmelo Hayes is ready to prove his star power on WWE roster: 'Time to make a statement'
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Love Is Blind's Bliss Poureetezadi Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby With Zack Goytowski
Seattle to open overdose recovery center amid rising deaths
Lionel Messi, Inter Miami face CF Montreal with record-setting MLS ticket sales
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Consultants close to Rep. Henry Cuellar plead guilty to conspiracy
Oklahoma death row inmate who killed a bank guard is incompetent for execution, judge says
From 'The Iron Claw' to 'The Idea of You,' here are 10 movies you need to stream right now