Current:Home > InvestIndexbit Exchange:Michigan judge says Trump can stay on primary ballot, rejecting challenge under insurrection clause -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:Michigan judge says Trump can stay on primary ballot, rejecting challenge under insurrection clause
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-05 20:10:54
DETROIT (AP) — A Michigan judge ruled Tuesday that former President Donald Trump will remain on Indexbit Exchangethe state’s primary ballot, dealing a blow to the effort to stop Trump’s candidacy with a Civil War-era Constitutional clause.
It marks the second time in a week that a state court declined to remove Trump from a primary ballot under the insurrection provision of the 14th Amendment.
In Michigan, Court of Claims Judge James Redford rejected arguments that Trump’s role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol meant the court had to declare him ineligible for the presidency. Redford wrote that, because Trump followed state law in qualifying for the primary ballot, he cannot remove the former president.
Additionally, he said it should be up to Congress to decide whether Trump is disqualified under the section of the U.S. Constitution that bars from office a person who “engaged in insurrection.”
Former President Donald Trump greets the crowd at a campaign rally Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023, in Claremont, N.H. (AP Photo/Reba Saldanha)
Redford said deciding whether an event constituted “a rebellion or insurrection and whether or not someone participated in it” are questions best left to Congress and not “one single judicial officer.” A judge, he wrote, “cannot in any manner or form possibly embody the represented qualities of every citizen of the nation — as does the House of Representatives and the Senate.”
Free Speech For People, a liberal group that has brought 14th Amendment cases in a number of states, said it will immediately appeal the ruling to the Michigan Court of Appeals, but also asked the state supreme court to step in and take the case on an expedited basis.
“We are disappointed by the trial court’s decision, and we’re appealing it immediately,” said Ron Fein, Legal Director of Free Speech For People.
In a statement, Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung rattled off other losses in the long-shot effort to bar Trump from the ballot.
“Each and every one of these ridiculous cases have LOST because they are all un-Constitutional left-wing fantasies orchestrated by monied allies of the Biden campaign seeking to turn the election over to the courts and deny the American people the right to choose their next president,” Cheung said.
Left-learning groups have filed similar lawsuits in other states seeking to bar Trump from the ballot, portraying him as inciting the Jan. 6 attack, which was intended to stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential election win.
The two-sentence clause in the 14th Amendment has been used only a handful of times since the years after the Civil War. It’s likely that one of the active cases eventually will be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which has never ruled on the insurrection clause.
Last week, the Minnesota Supreme Court sidestepped the issue by ruling that Trump could stay on that state’s primary ballot because the election is a party-run contest during which constitutional eligibility isn’t an issue. It left the door open to another lawsuit to keep Trump off the state’s general election ballot.
A Colorado judge is expected to rule on a similar lawsuit there by Friday. Closing arguments in that case are scheduled for Wednesday.
___
Riccardi reported from Denver.
veryGood! (4536)
Related
- Average rate on 30
- New England braces for major spring snowstorm as severe weather continues to sock US
- Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock in New York City, performs on Broadway the next day
- Can you buy Powerball tickets online? Here are the states that allow it
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Lawmakers in GOP-led Nebraska debate bill to raise sales tax
- 'I've been waiting for this': LEGO Houses, stores to be sensory inclusive by end of April
- Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Oprah and More Celebs Who’ve Reached the Billionaire Milestone
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Amid surging mail theft, post offices failing to secure universal keys
Ranking
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Business leaders call for immigrant worker protection in wake of Baltimore bridge tragedy
- Vikings suspend offensive coordinator Wes Phillips 3 weeks after careless driving plea deal
- Trump posts $175 million bond in New York fraud case
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Wisconsin Gov. Evers vetoes transgender high school athletics ban, decries radical policies targeting LGBTQ
- 7 World Central Kitchen aid workers killed by Israeli airstrike in Gaza
- Biden speaks with Chinese President Xi Jinping in first call since November meeting
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Company helping immigrants in detention ordered to pay $811M+ in lawsuit alleging deceptive tactics
Can you buy Powerball tickets online? Here are the states that allow it
Houston police chief won’t say if thousands of dropped cases reveals bigger problems within agency
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Biden campaign releases ad attacking Trump over abortion
Travis Kelce Reveals His Summer Plans With Taylor Swift—and They’re Anything But Cruel
Target's car seat trade-in event kicks off April 14. Here's what to know.