Current:Home > InvestKate Middleton Breaks Silence on Health Journey to Share Cancer Diagnosis -Capitatum
Kate Middleton Breaks Silence on Health Journey to Share Cancer Diagnosis
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 01:35:47
Kate Middleton has been diagnosed with cancer.
"I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you, personally, for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding whilst I have been recovering from surgery," the Princess of Wales shared in a video message March 22, her first formal appearance since undergoing abdominal surgery in January. "It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family."
"But I've had a fantastic medical team who have taken great care of me, for which I am so grateful," Kate—who shares kids Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5, with husband Prince William—said. "In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful."
However, Kate noted, tests after the operation found cancer had been present.
"My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment," she continued. "This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family."
"As you can imagine, this has taken time," Kate added. "It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment. But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be ok."
Kate went on to share that she is well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help her heal.
"Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too," she noted. "As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both."
She concluded her message by asking for privacy during this time and sent a message of support to those affected by cancer.
Kate's update comes just weeks after she found herself in a royal controversy for posting an edited family photo to social media in celebration of Mother's Day U.K. on March 10.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter, March 11 after the picture was pulled from photo agencies for being manipulated. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused."
And although the photo controversy ignited further conspiracy theories about Kate, Kensington Palace maintained she'd return to royal life around the Easter holiday.
"The surgery was successful," the Palace said in a Jan. 17 message, noting that while Kate "appreciates the interest this statement will generate," she also "hopes that the public will understand her desire to maintain as much normality" for her and William's kids as possible.
Kensington Palace also pointed out that Kate wants her medical information to remain private and that any updates will be shared only when "there is significant new information."
"The Princess of Wales wishes to apologize to all those concerned for the fact that she has to postpone her upcoming engagements," the Palace concluded. "She looks forward to reinstating as many as possible, as soon as possible."
Speculation about Kate surfaced as her father-in-law, King Charles III, faced his own health battle.
"During The King's recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted," Buckingham Palace announced Feb. 5. "Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer. His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties."
"Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual," the statement continued. "The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
For more updates on the royal family, keep reading...
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
Get the latest tea from inside the palace walls. Sign up for Royal Recap!veryGood! (5926)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Lutherans in Walz’s Minnesota put potlucks before politics during divisive election season
- Demi Lovato Shares Whether She Wants Her Future Kids to Have Careers in Hollywood
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 2: Saints among biggest early-season surprises
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- How Connie Chung launched a generation of Asian American girls named ‘Connie’ — and had no idea
- Worst teams in MLB history: Chicago White Sox nearing record for most losses
- 'Hacks' star's mom and former SNL cast member slams 'The Bear,' says it's not a comedy
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- 2024 Emmys: Rita Ora Shares Rare Insight Into Marriage With Taika Waititi
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- 'Emily in Paris' to return for Season 5, but Lily Collins says 'there's no place like Rome'
- Martin Sheen, more 'West Wing' stars reunite on Oval Office set at Emmys
- How Connie Chung launched a generation of Asian American girls named ‘Connie’ — and had no idea
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Taylor Swift Attends Patrick Mahomes’ Birthday Bash After Chiefs Win
- Low Boom, High Pollution? NASA Readies for Supersonic Test Flight
- After mass shooting, bill would require Army to use state crisis laws to remove weapons
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Lutherans in Walz’s Minnesota put potlucks before politics during divisive election season
Colleges in Springfield, Ohio, move to online instruction after threats targeting Haitians
Kirk Cousins' record in primetime games: What to know about Falcons QB's win-loss
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Travis Kelce's NFL Suite Features Sweet Nod to Taylor Swift
Former Uvalde schools police chief makes first court appearance since indictment
Michigan State Police officer won’t survive injuries from crash on I-75 near Detroit