Current:Home > MyHamas alleges second Israeli strike hit refugee camp -Capitatum
Hamas alleges second Israeli strike hit refugee camp
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 00:20:27
Gaza's Hamas-run health ministry said Wednesday that a second Israeli bombing raid in two days had killed and wounded "dozens" Wednesday at the territory's biggest refugee camp, Jabaliya.
It said there were "dozens of martyrs and injured in a bombing by the occupation planes," a day after Israel acknowledged the first strikes, saying they targeted a top Hamas commander.
Images obtained by French news agency Agence France-Presse showed major damage and rescuers said "whole families" were killed Wednesday, but casualty details could not be immediately confirmed.
Meanwhile, Hamas has claimed that seven hostages taken from its Oct. 7 attacks inside Israel, including three foreign passport holders, were killed in Israel's first bombing of Gaza's largest refugee camp on Tuesday.
Dozens of bodies were seen on Tuesday at the Jabalia camp where Israel said it killed a Hamas military commander in a strike on a tunnel complex.
"Seven detainees were killed in the Jabalia massacre yesterday, including three holders of foreign passports," a Hamas military wing statement said on Wednesday, according to AFP.
No details were given and it was not possible to independently verify the claim. The military wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, previously announced that "almost 50" hostages had been killed in earlier raids.
Israel says that 240 hostages were taken when Hamas fighters crossed the border to stage raids in which they killed 1,400 people, mostly civilians.
Israel's raid on the Jabalia camp was one of thousands since the attacks, which the Hamas health ministry says have killed more than 8,500 people, two-thirds of them women and children.
The Israeli military said its fighter jets "assassinated Ibrahim Biari, commander of the Jabalia brigade of the Hamas terrorist organization, who was one of those who directed the murderous terrorist attack on October 7."
"Hamas's underground military infrastructure beneath these buildings collapsed" in the strike, it said, and "many Hamas terrorists" were killed.
Facing growing domestic pressure, Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said freeing the hostages is a priority of the military campaign.
Questioned this week about the civilian toll in Gaza and the risk to hostages, Netanyahu said there had to be "a moral distinction between the deliberate murder of the innocent and the unintentional casualties that accompany every legitimate war, even the most just war."
- In:
- Palestine
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
veryGood! (5662)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- USWNT roster for Paris Olympics: With Alex Morgan left out, who made the cut?
- Joe Bonsall, celebrated tenor in the country and gospel group the Oak Ridge Boys, dies at 76
- Advocates launch desperate effort to save Oklahoma man from execution in 1992 murder
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Shannon Beador Breaks Silence on Her Ex John Janssen and Costar Alexis Bellino's Engagement Plans
- Homes are selling below list price. That's bad for sellers, good for buyers
- 2 people were injured in shooting outside a Virginia mall. They are expected to survive
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Violent holiday weekend sees mass shootings in Michigan, Illinois and Kentucky
Ranking
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Doomsday cult leader Paul Mackenzie goes on trial after deaths of over 400 followers in Kenya
- No, sharks aren't out to get you. But here's why it may seem like it.
- Bethenny Frankel Shares Message From Olivia Culpo Amid Ex Paul Bernon and Aurora Culpo Rumors
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- With Tiger Woods’ approval, Keegan Bradley locks in Ryder Cup captaincy — perhaps even as a player
- Dan Hurley contract details as UConn coach signs new six-year, $50 million contract
- Two sets of siblings die in separate drowning incidents in the Northeast
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
Joe Bonsall, celebrated tenor in the country and gospel group the Oak Ridge Boys, dies at 76
Brett Favre is asking an appeals court to reinstate his defamation lawsuit against Shannon Sharpe
Emma Watson Confirms New Romance With Oxford Classmate Kieran Brown
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Channing Tatum Reveals the Moment He Realized He Needed Fiancée Zoë Kravitz
Arch Manning says he’s in EA Sports College Football 25 after reports he opted out of the video game
Sparked by fireworks, New Jersey forest fire is 90% contained, authorities say