Current:Home > MyAmerican Jessica Pegula rips No. 1 Iga Swiatek, advances to US Open semifinals -Capitatum
American Jessica Pegula rips No. 1 Iga Swiatek, advances to US Open semifinals
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:17:15
When she was struggling earlier this year, Jessica Pegula wasn’t sure if some of the dramatic changes she made in pursuit of better results were going to ultimately pay off.
But at this year’s U.S. Open, those doubts have been answered. Pegula isn’t just playing the best tennis of her life, she’s now gone further at a Grand Slam than ever before — with a real chance to take home the trophy.
Pegula, the 30-year-old daughter of Buffalo Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula, reached the U.S. Open semifinals with a dominant 6-2, 6-4 victory Wednesday over world No. 1 Iga Swiatek. It’s the first time Pegula has broken through the Grand Slam quarterfinal barrier after six attempts, including a 6-3, 7-6 loss to Swiatek at the U.S. Open two years ago.
But this is a different Pegula, who split with longtime coach David Witt in February after a disappointing second-round exit at the Australian Open. Pegula missed the clay court season this year with a rib injury, returned at Wimbledon where she also lost in the second round and didn’t seem likely to be a factor for the rest of 2024.
But Pegula found her form after the Olympics, defending her title at the Canadian Open and reaching the final the following week in Cincinnati. All told, she has won 14 of her last 15 matches heading into Thursday’s semifinal matchup against Karolina Muchova.
Still, Pegula was considered an underdog to Swiatek, the 2022 U.S. Open champion. Swiatek led their head-to-head rivalry 6-3 coming into the match.
But from the very beginning Wednesday, Pegula was dialed in tactically and playing confident tennis both on her forehand and backhand. Pegula’s hard, flat ball strike appeared to rush Swiatek, who never got into a good rhythm and made uncharacteristic mistakes off standard groundstrokes. She finished with 41 unforced errors to just 12 winners. Pegula played a much cleaner match, making 65 percent of her first serves and just 22 errors.
Only one Grand Slam champion remains among the final four in the women’s draw. No. 2 seed Aryna Sabalenka is a two-time Australian Open champion and lost last year’s U.S. Open final to Coco Gauff. She will face American Emma Navarro on Thursday.
Regardless of what happens from here, Pegula, the No. 6 seed, will leave the U.S. Open as the top-ranked American woman.
“I just kept losing but to great players,” Pegula said on ESPN about her previous quarterfinal struggles. “I know everyone keeps asking me about it, I just didn’t know what else to do. I just needed to get there again and win the match. Finally I’m able to say I’m a semifinalist.”
Follow Dan Wolken on social media @DanWolken
veryGood! (77)
Related
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Gold is suddenly not so glittery after Trump’s White House victory
- The state that cleared the way for sports gambling now may ban ‘prop’ bets on college athletes
- Demure? Brain rot? Oxford announces shortlist for 2024 Word of the Year: Cast your vote
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Inter Miami's MLS playoff failure sets stage for Messi's last act, Alexi Lalas says
- Jax Taylor Breaks Silence on Brittany Cartwright Dating His Friend Amid Their Divorce
- Mississippi expects only a small growth in state budget
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Will Aaron Rodgers retire? Jets QB tells reporters he plans to play in 2025
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Mason Bates’ Met-bound opera ‘Kavalier & Clay’ based on Michael Chabon novel premieres in Indiana
- Dozens indicted over NYC gang warfare that led to the deaths of four bystanders
- Only 8 monkeys remain free after more than a week outside a South Carolina compound
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Burger King's 'Million Dollar Whopper' finalists: How to try and vote on your favorite
- Bohannan requests a recount in Iowa’s close congressional race as GOP wins control of House
- Mason Bates’ Met-bound opera ‘Kavalier & Clay’ based on Michael Chabon novel premieres in Indiana
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
What Republicans are saying about Matt Gaetz’s nomination for attorney general
How Alex Jones’ Infowars wound up in the hands of The Onion
Mike Tyson concedes the role of villain to young foe in 58-year-old’s fight with Jake Paul
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Shawn Mendes Confesses He and Camila Cabello Are No Longer the Closest
'America's flagship' SS United States has departure from Philadelphia to Florida delayed
Watch out, Temu: Amazon Haul, Amazon's new discount store, is coming for the holidays