Current:Home > InvestLittle Rock police officer charged with felony for shooting and wounding suspect -Capitatum
Little Rock police officer charged with felony for shooting and wounding suspect
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 08:36:46
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — A Little Rock police officer was arrested Wednesday and charged with a felony in the shooting and wounding of a suspect who was fleeing after a traffic stop over the weekend.
Prosecutors charged Officer Johvoni McClendon with one felony count of first-degree battery and one misdemeanor count of first-degree assault in connection with the early Saturday morning shooting.
McClendon was relieved of duty after police said he shot Brenden Johnson, who drove away in a pickup truck officers had pulled over after locating nearby a stolen vehicle they had been pursuing earlier. Johnson had been hospitalized following the shooting.
Chief Heath Helton said the decision to relieve McClendon came after he reviewed body and vehicle camera footage from the shooting.
“There is no doubt the actions of Officer McClendon are outside the department’s policy related to the use of deadly force,” Helton said at a news conference announcing the charges. ‘“Due to the severity of the violations observed, I believe that it was imperative that immediate action be taken to protect the public, our internal policies and the law.”
McClendon pleaded not guilty at a hearing on Wednesday afternoon and was released on a $25,000 bond. Robert Newcomb, his attorney, declined to comment on the charges.
veryGood! (29859)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Arkansas lawmakers OK plan to audit purchase of $19,000 lectern for Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders
- Zimbabwe opposition leader demands the reinstatement of party lawmakers kicked out of Parliament
- Jacob Wetterling's mom speaks out on son's case, advocacy work ahead of new book
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- NYU law student has job offer withdrawn after posting anti-Israel message
- 7 elementary school students injured after North Carolina school bus veers off highway, hits building
- Tomorrow X Together's Taylor Swift Crush Is Sweeter Than Fiction
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- NYU law student has job offer withdrawn after posting anti-Israel message
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- I mean, it's called 'Dicks: The Musical.' What did you expect?
- Muslims gather at mosques for first Friday prayers since Israel-Hamas war started
- Officer shooting in Minnesota: 5 officers suffered gunshot wounds; suspect arrested
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- France has banned pro-Palestinian protests and vowed to protect Jews from resurgent antisemitism
- Thursday marks 25 years since Matthew Shepard's death, but activists say LGBTQ+ rights are still at risk
- On his first foreign trip this year, Putin calls for ex-Soviet states to expand influence
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Republicans tweak Brewers stadium repair plan to cut the total public contribution by $54 million
Court hearing to discuss contested Titanic expedition is canceled after firm scales back dive plan
China’s exports, imports fell 6.2% in September as global demand faltered
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Prosecutor removed from YNW Melly murder trial after defense accusations of withholding information
Taking the temperature of the US consumer
Nearly 500,000 Little Sleepies baby bibs and blankets recalled due to potential choking hazard