Current:Home > reviewsRays shortstop Wander Franco put on administrative leave as MLB continues investigation -Capitatum
Rays shortstop Wander Franco put on administrative leave as MLB continues investigation
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:03:20
Major League Baseball has placed Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco on paid administrative leave as it continues an investigation into allegations that he had an inappropriate relationship with an underage girl.
"The administrative leave, effective immediately, is not disciplinary under the Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy. We will comment further at the appropriate time," MLB said in a statement issued Tuesday morning.
MLB can impose administrative leave without Franco's or the union’s approval for seven days, but it would then have to prove reasonable cause to extend that period – as it did in the case of former Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer. (Bauer was accused of assaulting a woman in 2021, and was eventually suspended for 194 games.)
In a statement of their own on Tuesday, the Rays expressed support for MLB's decision: "The Tampa Bay Rays are dedicated to upholding high standards of integrity both on and off the field. We appreciate the understanding and patience of our fans and supporters as this process unfolds."
Last week, the Rays placed their young star on the restricted list for its recently completed road trip – which Franco agreed to and MLB approved.
FOLLOW THE MONEY: MLB player salaries and payrolls for every major league team
Franco, a 2023 American League All-Star, was having his best season as a major leaguer, hitting .281 with 17 home runs and 30 stolen bases, when the allegations surfaced in a series of social media posts.
However, he was suspended two games earlier this season by the Rays for emotional outbursts and "not being the best teammate," Rays manager Kevin Cash said. He also was involved in a scuffle with teammate Randy Arozarena.
Franco, 22, is currently being investigated by authorities in the Dominican Republic for possible crimes involving at least two minors after a 17-year-old girl filed a complaint against Franco, according to the Dominican newspaper Diario Libre. Franco denied the allegations on his Instagram account last Sunday but has yet to speak publicly or make a statement.
In the second year of an 11-year, $182 million contract with the Rays, Franco will continue to be paid as long as he's on administrative leave.
veryGood! (57)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Maureen Johnson's new mystery debuts an accidental detective: Read an exclusive excerpt
- Last Chance Summer Sale: Save Up to 73% at Pottery Barn, 72% at Pottery Barn Teen, and 69% at West Elm
- US, China compete to study water on the moon: Why that matters for future missions
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Dolce & Gabbana introduces fragrance mist for dogs: 'Crafted for a playful beauty routine'
- Texas man to be executed for strangling mother of 3 says it's 'something I couldn't help'
- A judge has branded Google a monopolist, but AI may bring about quicker change in internet search
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- As the Paris Olympics wind down, Los Angeles swings into planning for 2028
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Paris Olympics highlights: Gabby Thomas, Cole Hocker golds lead USA's banner day at track
- Olympic women's soccer final: Live Bracket, schedule for gold medal game
- Republican activist becomes first person to be convicted in Arizona’s fake elector case
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- US women will be shut out of medals in beach volleyball as Hughes, Cheng fall to Swiss
- Buca di Beppo files for bankruptcy and closes restaurants. Which locations remain open?
- Judge rejects bid by Judicial Watch, Daily Caller to reopen fight over access to Biden Senate papers
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Lionel Richie Shares Insight Into Daughter Sofia Richie's Motherhood Journey
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Road Trip
Georgia attorney general says Black studies course can be taught under racial teaching law exemption
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
GOP Rep. Andy Ogles of Tennessee says FBI took his cellphone in campaign finance probe
New York dad learns his 2 teenage daughters died after tracking phones to crash site
Vote sets stage for new Amtrak Gulf Coast service. But can trains roll by Super Bowl?