Current:Home > MyFormer British soldier to stand trial over Bloody Sunday killings half a century ago -Capitatum
Former British soldier to stand trial over Bloody Sunday killings half a century ago
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:44:50
LONDON (AP) — A former British soldier will stand trial in the killing of two civil rights protesters half a century ago on Bloody Sunday, one of the deadliest days of the decades-long conflict in Northern Ireland, a judge said Thursday.
The former paratrooper is charged with murder in the killings of James Wray and William McKinney and with attempted murder involving five other people in Derry, also known as Londonderry, on Jan.30, 1972. That was when members of Britain’s Parachute Regiment shot dead 13 civil rights protesters in the city.
An initial investigation that took place soon after the slayings branded the demonstrators as Irish Republican Army bombers and gunmen. But an exhaustive inquiry that lasted 12 years refuted those findings, concluding in 2010 that British soldiers had opened fire without justification at unarmed, fleeing civilians and then lied about it for decades.
A judge said during a hearing in Londonderry on Thursday that the ex-paratrooper, who is only identified as Soldier F, should stand trial at Belfast Crown Court, though a date has not been set.
Prosecutors first announced the charges against Soldier F in 2019, but the case was halted after officials cited concerns that it could collapse if it went to trial.
The family of McKinney challenged that decision, and a court ruled last year that the case should proceed.
“This development has been a long time in coming,” McKinney’s brother, Mickey McKinney, said Thursday.
“Next month represents the 52nd anniversary of the events of Bloody Sunday,” he added. “Witnesses are dying and becoming unavailable.”
veryGood! (459)
Related
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Death of woman who ate mislabeled cookie from Stew Leonard's called 100% preventable and avoidable
- Gov. Lee says Tennessee education commissioner meets requirements, despite lack of teaching license
- North Carolina state workers’ health plan ending coverage for certain weight-loss drugs
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- The Associated Press wins duPont-Columbia award for Ukraine war documentary ’20 Days in Mariupol’
- Ake keeps alive Man City treble trophy defense after beating Tottenham in the FA Cup
- Christopher Nolan's 'Tenet' returns to theaters, in IMAX 70mm, with new 'Dune: Part Two' footage
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Elle King Reschedules More Shows After Dolly Parton Tribute Backlash
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- 'Heartless crime': Bronze Jackie Robinson statue cut down, stolen from youth baseball field
- Herbert Coward, who played Toothless Man in 'Deliverance,' killed in North Carolina crash
- Protesters gather outside a top Serbian court to demand that a disputed election be annulled
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Travis Kelce’s Dad Ed Admits He Didn’t Know Taylor Swift’s Name at Beginning of Their Romance
- King Charles III Visits Kate Middleton as He Undergoes Procedure at Same Hospital
- Alexis Bellino Returning to Real Housewives of Orange County Amid John Janssen Romance
Recommendation
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Canadian man accused of selling deadly substances to plead not guilty: lawyer
Tumbling Chinese stocks and rapid Chipotle hiring
NJ Transit scraps plan for gas-fired backup power plant, heartening environmental justice advocates
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Lions could snap Detroit's 16-year title drought: Here's the last time each sport won big
Deepfakes exploiting Taylor Swift images exemplify a scourge with little oversight
Harry Connick Jr. shares that his dad, Harry Connick Sr., has died at 97