Current:Home > NewsFlorida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult -Capitatum
Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 21:06:32
The 17-year-old suspect in a shooting last week that killed two people and injured eight during Halloween celebrations in downtown Orlando, Florida, has been charged as an adult, authorities said.
Jaylen Dwayne Edgar was charged as an adult with two counts of second-degree murder with a firearm and one count of attempted murder with a firearm, State Attorney Andrew Bain said Monday. The case will be presented to a grand jury, which could decide to elevate the charges to first-degree murder, Bain said.
Edgar will face additional charges as the investigation continues, authorities said.
"This decision was not made lightly and only after a review of all available evidence," Bain said in a statement Monday. "I have personally reviewed all available records and video evidence in this case and there is no question this individual should be charged as an adult."
The Orlando Police Department estimated about 75,000 people were gathered in downtown Orlando to celebrate Halloween last week when gunfire broke out overnight. Early Friday, two people were killed and seven were wounded by gunfire, authorities said.
Another person was hospitalized after being trampled on while trying to run to safety, Bain said. The victims were ages 19 to 39, according to Orlando Police Chief Eric Smith.
Bain said responding police officers immediately identified Edgar as the gunman and "took him into custody moments after the shooting." Prosecutors were working with the Orlando Police Department and have asked the public to submit any videos or pictures from the night of the shooting.
"To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime," Bain said in the statement.
'Troubling trends':Guns remain leading cause of death for children and teens in the US, report says
What happened in the downtown Orlando shooting?
According to Smith, officers responded to shots fired around 1 a.m. Friday in the area of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue before police witnessed a second shooting about a block away,
A total of nine people were hit by gunfire, in which two were pronounced dead, according to police. The six victims who were wounded were taken to the Orlando Regional Medical Center and were in stable condition, Smith said.
Another person who suffered a gunshot wound took herself to a local hospital, police said.
Police released surveillance and body-camera footage showing a crowd of thousands of people in the streets when the suspect opened fire, causing chaos as people fled. Within seconds, at least eight officers surrounded the person who was shot.
A few minutes later, footage captured the suspect rushing through the crowd before additional shots were fired. Officers apprehended the suspect when he tried to leave the scene.
Authorities said the shooting occurred on one of the city's busiest nights of the year as tens of thousands of people gathered to celebrate Halloween. About 100 officers were in the area at the time to provide security, Smith said.
The incident was the latest mass shooting in the United States. At least 445 mass shootings have occurred this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit organization that defines mass shootings as incidents involving four or more victims.
Contributing: Gabe Hauari and Christopher Cann, USA TODAY; C.A. Bridges, USA TODAY NETWORK - Florida
veryGood! (2135)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- RHOBH's Garcelle Beauvais Weighs in on Possible Dorit Kemsley Reconciliation After Reunion Fight
- A look at standings, schedule, and brackets ahead of 2024 ACC men's basketball tournament
- Biden and Trump could clinch nominations in Tuesday’s contests, ushering in general election
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- West Virginia governor vies for Manchin’s US Senate seat, while moonlighting as girls hoops coach
- Olympian Scott Hamilton Shares Health Update After 3rd Brain Tumor Diagnosis
- Plane crash in remote central Oregon leaves ‘no survivors,’ authorities say
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Al Pacino Addresses Oscars Controversy Over Best Picture Presenting Moment
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Teen Mom’s Kailyn Lowry Shares Update on Coparenting Relationships After Welcoming Twins
- Why AP isn’t using ‘presumptive nominee’ to describe Trump or Biden
- Al Pacino Addresses Oscars Controversy Over Best Picture Presenting Moment
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Cincinnati Bengals releasing Pro Bowl RB Joe Mixon, will sign Zack Moss, per reports
- Pressure on Boeing grows as Buttigieg says the company needs to cooperate with investigations
- Donald Trump roasted Jimmy Kimmel on social media during the Oscars. Then the host read it on air.
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
FBI again searches California federal women’s prison plagued by sexual abuse
Oscars get audience bump from ‘Barbie’ and ‘Oppenheimer,’ but ratings aren’t quite a blockbuster
Inside Robert Downey Jr.'s Unbelievable Hollywood Comeback, From Jail to Winning an Oscar
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Kirk Cousins leaves Vikings to join Falcons on four-year contract
When is 2024 March Madness men's basketball tournament? Dates, times, odds and more
North Carolina launches statewide sports wagering