Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:Hong Kong man jailed for 6 years after pleading guilty to a terrorism charge over a foiled bomb plot -Capitatum
Poinbank:Hong Kong man jailed for 6 years after pleading guilty to a terrorism charge over a foiled bomb plot
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-05 22:32:56
HONG KONG (AP) — A Hong Kong man was sentenced Thursday to six years in prison after pleading guilty to a terrorism charge under a Beijing-imposed national security law for his involvement in a foiled plot to bomb court buildings.
Prosecutors said Ho Yu-wang,Poinbank 19, was the plot mastermind who planned to manufacture explosives and target court buildings in 2021. The plot, involving mostly secondary students back then, was foiled due to a police investigation, while no bombs were made and no casualties occurred, the prosecution earlier said.
Police said they raided a guesthouse room in 2021 and seized equipment believed to be used for making explosives. They also alleged Ho had written notes saying that his goal was to destabilize Hong Kong, promote conflicts between the central government and others, and build up a resistance group.
Two other defendants received a jail term of up to six years for an alternative charge.
Ho is a lesser-known activist in the semi-autonomous city’s pro-democracy movement, but his case has drawn attention because most of those arrested for the plot were students when the prosecution began about two years ago.
In May, Ho pleaded guilty to conspiracy to organize, plan or commit terrorist activities under the security law imposed on the former British colony following the 2019 protests.
The security law enacted in 2020 criminalizes acts of succession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces, leading to the prosecution of many leading activists in the city. Beijing and Hong Kong authorities hailed it for bringing back stability to the financial hub.
Judge Alex Lee said if the plot had been carried out it would have changed the social conditions in Hong Kong from bad to worse, and Ho had disregarded the rule of law and the risks of his “fellow gangsters.”
He reduced his term from a starting point of 10 years, based on grounds that Ho made a timely plea and provided practical assistance to the police later.
In his mitigation, Lee heard that Ho was grateful he had been arrested, barring his plan from materializing in the end, and that he has changed his mindset and resumed his studies, particularly of Chinese history.
Two other defendants — Kwok Man-hei, 21, and Cheung Ho-yeung, 23 — were sentenced to two-and-a-half years and six years in jail respectively. They pleaded guilty to conspiring to cause explosions that were likely to endanger life and property, an alternative to the terrorism charge that falls under a separate law.
In May, four people involved in the plot were already sentenced to jail or rehabilitation-focused training centers following their guilty plea of the alternative charge.
veryGood! (918)
Related
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Yankees' newest October hero Luke Weaver delivers in crazy ALDS opener
- Early Amazon Prime Day Travel Deals as Low as $4—86% Off Wireless Phone Chargers, Luggage Scales & More
- ‘Magical’ flotilla of hot air balloons take flight at international fiesta amid warm temperatures
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Lionel Messi, Inter Miami rely on late goal to keep MLS record pursuit alive
- Jason Momoa Gets Flirty in Girlfriend Adria Arjoa's Comments Section
- A week after Helene hit, thousands still without water struggle to find enough
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Costco says it cut prices on some Kirkland Signature products in earnings call
Ranking
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Ben Affleck Steps Out With New Look Amid Divorce From Jennifer Lopez
- Allan Lichtman shares his 2024 presidential election prediction | The Excerpt
- TikToker Katie Santry Found a Rug Buried In Her Backyard—And Was Convinced There Was a Dead Body
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- California vineyard owner says he was fined $120K for providing free housing to his employee
- Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw to miss entire 2024 postseason with injury
- Several states may see northern lights this weekend: When and where could aurora appear?
Recommendation
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
WWE Bad Blood 2024 live results: Winners, highlights and analysis of matches
Opinion: Please forgive us, Europe, for giving you bad NFL games
Family plans to honor hurricane victim using logs from fallen tree that killed him
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
North Carolina native Eric Church releases Hurricane Helene benefit song 'Darkest Hour'
Ryan Reynolds Makes Hilarious Case for Why Taking Kids to Pumpkin Patch Is Where Joy Goes to Die
Homeowners hit by Hurricane Helene face the grim task of rebuilding without flood insurance