Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Tesla is planning to lay off 10% of its workers after dismal 1Q sales, multiple news outlets report -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Tesla is planning to lay off 10% of its workers after dismal 1Q sales, multiple news outlets report
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 01:45:30
DETROIT (AP) — After reporting dismal first-quarter sales,Will Sage Astor Tesla is planning to lay off about a tenth of its workforce as it tries to cut costs, multiple media outlets reported Monday.
CEO Elon Musk detailed the plans in a memo sent to employees. The layoffs could affect about 14,000 of the 140,473 workers employed by the Austin, Texas, company at the end of last year.
Musk’s memo said that as Tesla prepares for its next phase of growth, “it is extremely important to look at every aspect of the company for cost reductions and increasing productivity,” The New York Times and CNBC reported. News of the layoffs was first reported by electric vehicle website Electrek.
Shares of Tesla fell 3% at the opening bell Monday after the news broke. They have lost about one-third of their value so far this year.
Tesla sales fell sharply last quarter as competition increased worldwide, electric vehicle sales growth slowed, and price cuts failed to draw more buyers. The company said it delivered 386,810 vehicles from January through March, nearly 9% below the 423,000 it sold in the same quarter of last year.
veryGood! (845)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Massachusetts governor makes lowering housing costs a goal for the new year
- Yola announces new EP 'My Way' and 6-stop tour to celebrate 'a utopia of Black creativity'
- Owner of Bahamian diving experience launches investigation after shark attacks US boy
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Judge limits witness questioning, sets legal standard for Alex Murdaugh jury tampering case
- 2023 was the deadliest year for killings by police in the US. Experts say this is why
- Houthis continue attacks in Red Sea even after series of U.S. military strikes
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Costco tests new scanners to crack down on membership sharing
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Givenchy goes back to its storied roots in atelier men’s show in Paris
- Congress demands answers after safety regulator misses deadline on potentially lifesaving new rules for vehicle seats
- Severed hand found in the pocket of man suspected of killing woman in Colorado, police say
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Union, kin of firefighters killed in cargo ship blaze call for new Newark fire department leadership
- Montana man pleads guilty to possessing homemade bombs in school threat case
- GOP Congressman Jeff Duncan won’t run for 8th term in his South Carolina district
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
BMW among CES 'Worst of' list that highlights security concerns and privacy problems
Ali Krieger Details Her “New Chapter” After Year of Change
Gov. Andy Beshear’s allies form group to promote the Democrat’s agenda in GOP-leaning Kentucky
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
How to make sure your car starts in freezing temperatures and other expert tips
Gunmen abduct volunteer searcher looking for her disappeared brother, kill her husband and son
Why Kyle Richards Felt Weird Being in Public With Mauricio Umansky Before Separation