Current:Home > reviewsDylan Cease throws second no-hitter in San Diego Padres history, 3-0 win over Washington Nationals -Capitatum
Dylan Cease throws second no-hitter in San Diego Padres history, 3-0 win over Washington Nationals
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 11:52:33
WASHINGTON (AP) — Dylan Cease pitched the second no-hitter in San Diego Padres history, a 3-0 win over the Washington Nationals on Thursday that completed a three-game sweep.
After falling one out short of a no-hitter two years ago when he gave up a single to current teammate Luis Arráez, Cease retired Ildemaro Vargas and Jacob Young on a groundouts for the first two outs of the ninth, then got CJ Abrams to hit a flyout to right on a 1-0 slider.
Cease (10-8) struck out nine and walked three in the 28-year-old right-hander’s third complete game in 145 big league starts. He threw a career-high 114 pitches in a game that included a 1-hour, 16-minute rain delay in the first inning.
Joe Musgrove pitched the Padres’ first no-hitter against Texas on April 9, 2021. Houston’s Ronel Blanco threw the only other no-hitter this season, against Toronto on April 1.
Cease was within one out of a no-hitter for the Chicago White Sox against Minnesota on Sept. 3, 2022, when Arráez lined a single to right-center on a 1-1 slider over the middle of the strike zone.
“Think I had a little flashback right there: Make sure I get the slider a little bit lower,” Cease said. “Man off the bat right there, it looked kind of like a bloop hit. I saw it stay up. Just screaming and yelling. That was awesome.”
Cease’s pitch count was 94 after the seventh inning. He lobbied manager Mike Shildt to keep him in the game.
“He said nice job. And I looked up and it was like 94 pitches. I just said ‘I feel great.’ And if we get through the next one in like 105. I’ve have thrown 113 this year,” Cease recalled. “Thankfully, they let me talk him into it. And then, he we are.”
The closest Washington came to a hit was when Juan Yepez lofted a fly to shallow center in the fifth inning. The ball popped out of second baseman Xander Bogaerts’ glove, but center fielder Jackson Merrill was there to snare the ball before it hit the ground.
Bogaerts also bobbled a ball after making a diving stop of Keibert Ruiz’s grounder with one out in the eighth but recovered in time to throw out the slow-footed catcher at first.
Cease threw 60 sliders against the Nationals along with 39 fastballs averaging 98.3 mph — 1.4 mph above his season average — and 10 knuckle-curves.
His previous complete games also were shutouts: a seven-inning three-hitter against Detroit on April 29, 2021, and the win over the Twins.
Cease allowed only three baserunners. Lane Thomas walked with one out in the first inning and was caught stealing, then reached on another walk in the fourth but was erased on Jesse Winker’s double-play grounder. Abrams walked leading off the seventh and was stranded at second base.
Washington was no-hit for the second straight season. Philadelphia’s Michael Lorenzen achieved the feat last Aug. 9.
San Diego has won five in a row and earned its third series sweep of the season and first on the road. The Padres swept Oakland and Washington at home last month.
Washington was swept for the sixth time this season and finished 0-6 against San Diego. It was the first time the Padres went undefeated against the Nationals/Montreal Expos franchise since both teams joined the National League in 1969.
San Diego loaded the bases in the first with a single and two walks against Patrick Corbin (2-10) before the delay while Ha-Seong Kim was batting, When the game resumed, Kim worked a full count before poking a single to left-center that scored all three runners.
UP NEXT
Padres: Open a series Friday at Baltimore.
Nationals: LHP MacKenzie Gore (6-8, 4.20 ERA), whose two-inning outing Saturday against Cincinnati was his shortest start of the season, starts in a three-game series at St. Louis.
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/mlb
veryGood! (752)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Two teenage boys shot and killed leaving Chicago school
- Texas attorney general refuses to grant federal agents full access to border park: Your request is hereby denied
- Native tribes don't want statue of William Penn removed. They want their story told.
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Parents demand answers after UIUC student found dead feet from where he went missing
- A Publicly-Owned Landfill in Alabama Caught Fire and Smoldered for 50 Days. Nearby Residents Were Left in the Dark
- Biden offers fresh assurances he would shut down border ‘right now’ if Congress sends him a deal
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- 'Buffalo Fluffalo' has had enuffalo in this kids' bookalo
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- China orders a Japanese fishing boat to leave waters near Japan-held islands claimed by Beijing
- ‘Saltburn’ actor Barry Keoghan named Hasty Pudding’s Man of the Year
- What is UNRWA, the main aid provider in Gaza that Israel accuses of militant links?
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Philadelphia Eagles hiring Kellen Moore as offensive coordinator, per report
- Nitrogen gas execution was textbook and will be used again, Alabama attorney general says
- 'Wait Wait' for January 27: With Not My Job guest Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
China’s top diplomat at meeting with US official urges Washington not to support Taiwan independence
Walmart's TV Deals Up To 47% Off Are Worth Shopping On The Big Screen
WWE's Vince McMahon resigns after being accused of sex trafficking, assault in lawsuit
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Lionel Messi and Inter Miami are in Saudi Arabia to continue their around-the-world preseason tour
93 Americans died after cosmetic surgery in Dominican Republic over 14-year period, CDC says
Lionel Messi and Inter Miami are in Saudi Arabia to continue their around-the-world preseason tour