Current:Home > StocksMaui has released the names of 388 people still missing after deadly wildfire -Capitatum
Maui has released the names of 388 people still missing after deadly wildfire
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 01:26:48
LAHAINA, Hawaii (AP) — Maui County released the names of 388 people still missing Thursday more than two weeks after the deadliest U.S. wildfire in more than a century, and officials asked anyone who knows a person on the list to be safe to contact authorities.
The FBI compiled the list of names. The number of confirmed dead after fires on Maui that destroyed the historic seaside community of Lahaina stands at 115, a number the county said is expected to rise.
“We also know that once those names come out, it can and will cause pain for folks whose loved ones are listed,” Police Chief John Pelletier said in a statement. “This is not an easy thing to do, but we want to make sure that we are doing everything we can to make this investigation as complete and thorough as possible.”
Names on the list were deemed validated if officials had a person’s first and last name and a verified contact for the person who reported them missing, officials said.
An additional 1,732 people who had been reported missing have been found safe as of Thursday afternoon, officials said.
On Wednesday, officials said 1,000 to 1,100 names remained on the FBI’s tentative, unconfirmed list of people unaccounted for, but DNA had been collected from only 104 families, a figure far lower than in previous major disasters around the country.
Hawaii officials had expressed concern that by releasing a list of the missing, they would also be identifying some people who have died. Pelletier said Tuesday that his team faced difficulties in compiling a solid list. In some cases, people provided only partial names, and in other cases names might be duplicated.
Maui County sued Hawaiian Electric Co. on Thursday, saying the utility negligently failed to shut off power despite exceptionally high winds and dry conditions. Witness accounts and video indicated that sparks from power lines ignited fires as utility poles snapped in the winds, which were driven by a passing hurricane.
Hawaii Electric said in a statement it is “very disappointed that Maui County chose this litigious path while the investigation is still unfolding.”
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Indonesia’s president visits Vietnam’s EV maker Vinfast and says conditions ready for a car plant
- Kaley Cuoco hid pregnancy with help of stunt double on ‘Role Play’ set: 'So shocked'
- Bodies of 9 men found in vehicles near fuel pipeline in Mexico
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Truck driver sentenced to a year in prison for crash that killed New Hampshire trooper
- Usher Super Bowl halftime show trailer promises performance '30 years in the making': Watch
- Halle Bailey’s Boyfriend DDG Says She’s Already a “Professional Mom”
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Missing Mom Jennifer Dulos Declared Dead Nearly 5 Years After Disappearance
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- The FAA is tightening oversight of Boeing and will audit production of the 737 Max 9
- Oregon Supreme Court declines for now to review challenge to Trump's eligibility for ballot
- A 4th person has died after fiery crash near western New York concert, but motive remains a mystery
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Prosecutors urge rejection of ex-cop’s bid to dismiss civil rights conviction in George Floyd murder
- As a new generation rises, tension between free speech and inclusivity on college campuses simmers
- Former Connecticut mayoral candidate pleads guilty to Jan. 6 Capitol breach charge
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Sam's Club announces it will stop checking receipts and start using AI at exits
Would David Wright be a Baseball Hall of Famer if injuries hadn't wrecked his career?
California driving instructor accused of molesting and recording students, teen girls
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
During 100 days of war, a Gaza doctor pushes through horror and loss in his struggle to save lives
3 Palestinians killed by Israeli army after they attack in West Bank settlement
Former Pennsylvania defense attorney sentenced to jail for pressuring clients into sex