Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Sudan fighting rages despite ceasefire calls as death toll climbs over 400 -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:Sudan fighting rages despite ceasefire calls as death toll climbs over 400
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:50:06
At least 413 people have Indexbit Exchangebeen killed in fighting in Sudan since violence broke out on April 15, according to the United Nations' World Health Organization, most of them civilians. One U.S. citizen is among those who've been killed, the State Department said Thursday, without providing further detail.
In his first statement since his disagreement with another commander engulfed Sudan in violence nearly a week ago, the head of the Sudanese Armed Forces, Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, said Friday that he was committed to a "safe transition to civilian rule" for the east African country, the Associated Press reported. The comments appeared to be a bid for international support as the deadly fighting between his forces and those of his now-rival, Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, continued despite calls for a ceasefire to stop the bloodshed for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr.
- 2 Sudan generals are at war with each other. Here's what to know.
Burhan and Dagalo, who commands Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), had been allies, joining forces to topple long-time dictator Omar al-Bashir in 2019. But a recent dispute over how to consolidate their two forces turned them against one another, leading to the current bloodshed, which three ceasefire attempts have now failed to halt.
A Sudanese medical group said "several areas of Khartoum were bombed" overnight as people marked the holiday, and there was ongoing "shelling and clashes," according to the AP.
"Instead of waking up to the call to prayer, people in Khartoum again woke up to heavy fighting," Endre Stiansen, Norway's ambassador to Sudan said Thursday. "Can any hell be more horrible than this?"
The sudden eruption of warfare in the country has left many other nations scrambling to try and ensure the safety of their citizens there.
The U.S. was "moving forward to pre-position some military forces and capabilities nearby just for contingency purposes in case they would be needed for any kind of evacuation," National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said Thursday. He added that no decision had yet been made about evacuating U.S. personnel.
Meanwhile, civilians caught up in the fighting were continuing to try to flee to safety.
"There is no safe place anymore in Khartoum," 37-year-old baker Dallia Abdelmoniem told the AP. She said her family decided to flee the capital after a rocket came through their roof.
From a shelter outside the city, she said the road leading out of Khartoum was covered with dead bodies.
"Our number one priority is just to stay alive," Abdelmoniem said.
- In:
- War
- Africa
- Sudan
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (7541)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- See the Flamin' Hot Cast of Desperate Housewives Then and Now
- Mark Ronson Teases Ryan Gosling's Bananas 2024 Oscars Performance of I'm Just Ken
- Chelsea Peretti on her starring role and directorial debut in First Time Female Director
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and More Oscar Nominees at Their First Academy Awards
- Honolulu police say they are investigating the killings of multiple people at a home
- Da’Vine Joy Randolph wins her first Oscar after being a favorite for her work in ‘The Holdovers’
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Liverpool fans serenade team with 'You'll Never Walk Alone' rendition before Man City match
Ranking
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- We Won't Be Quiet Over Emily Blunt and John Krasinski's Cutest Pics
- Behind the scenes with the best supporting actor Oscar nominees ahead of the 2024 Academy Awards ceremony
- You Need to See Liza Koshy Handle Her Red Carpet Tumble Like a Total Pro
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- After the strikes: Fran Drescher on the outlook for labor in Hollywood
- 70-foot sperm whale beached off Florida’s Gulf Coast
- 80 years after D-Day, a World War II veteran is getting married near beaches where US troops landed
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Social media reacts to Sean O'Malley's dominant title defense at UFC 299 vs. Marlon Vera
You'll Cheer for Gabrielle Union and Dwyane Wade's Oscars 2024 Date Night
Lionel Messi injury: Here’s the latest before Inter Miami vs. Montreal, how to watch Sunday
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
DC’s Tire-Dumping Epidemic
Browns agree to trade with Denver Broncos for WR Jerry Jeudy
Great Barrier Reef undergoing mass coral bleaching event for 5th time in nearly a decade