Current:Home > InvestMississippi announced incentives for company days after executive gave campaign money to governor -Capitatum
Mississippi announced incentives for company days after executive gave campaign money to governor
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:50:37
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi announced financial incentives for a shipbuilder to expand in Gulfport in 2020, days after the president of the shipbuilder’s parent company made a $10,000 campaign contribution to Republican Gov. Tate Reeves, records show.
Gulf Ship LLC, which received the state incentives, is a division of the Louisiana-based ship company, Edison Chouest Offshore.
The president of Edison Chouest Offshore, Gary Chouest, has given $66,000 to Reeves’ campaigns since 2016, including $10,000 on Sept. 2, 2020, according to finance documents.
Fifteen days later, the state economic development agency under Reeves’ supervision, the Mississippi Development Authority, announced Gulf Ship would receive state incentives to expand the site it opened in Gulfport in 2006. MDA said that with the expansion, the company would build tugboats.
“We are grateful for our partnership with the Edison Chouest team and are excited for the continued success of Gulf Ship and its skilled workers in Harrison County,” Reeves, who is now seeking reelection, said in an MDA announcement on Sept. 17, 2020.
A spokesperson for Edison Chouest Offshore, Lindsay Guidry, did not respond to voicemail messages left by The Associated Press last week and on Monday and Tuesday.
The AP asked Reeves campaign spokesperson Clifton Carroll whether there was any direct connection between Reeves accepting the $10,000 contribution from Chouest and the state’s announcement of incentives for Gulf Ship.
Carroll did not answer the question, but said in a statement Monday: “This is just a distraction from his campaign from real issues like the Governor’s action to put $700 million into hospitals.”
Reeves announced a proposal Thursday to reconfigure some Medicaid funding by requiring hospitals to pay higher taxes to draw down significantly more federal money. The plan requires federal approval, and Reeves announced it weeks before the Nov. 7 election.
The Democratic nominee for governor, Brandon Presley, has hammered Reeves for not expanding Medicaid to people working in jobs with modest pay and no private health insurance. Presley campaign spokesman Michael Beyer said Tuesday that Reeves’ hospital proposal would reward big donors and leave rural hospitals with “crumbs.”
Presley told the AP last week that Reeves’ acceptance of a $10,000 contribution shortly before the state announced aid for a company connected to the campaign donor shows Reeves “is an ethically compromised governor.”
“I think this is just another example in the long record of his pay-to-play schemes, whether it be with the industry, whether it be with appointments to boards and commissions,” Presley said. “You know, the most dangerous place to be in Mississippi is between Tate Reeves and a campaign check.”
MDA said the Gulf Ship expansion would create more than 200 new jobs, and the state would provide assistance for other improvements to the waterfront.
MDA later reported that it gave $333,000 to Gulf Ship in exchange for the company’s promise to invest $1 million and create 150 jobs. MDA also certified Gulf Ship for the state’s Advantage Jobs Rebate Program, which gives the company a rebate of 90% of its Mississippi payroll taxes for 10 years, as long as the company creates the promised jobs.
MDA awarded incentives to Gulf Ship less than two years after a separate deal involving another Edison Chouest Offshore affiliate, Topship, fell apart.
In December 2018, MDA voided its agreement to provide $36 million in grants and incentives to Topship because the company failed to provide its own investment or fulfill its promise to create 1,000 jobs to develop property on Gulfport’s Industrial Seaway.
In 2016, then-Gov. Phil Bryant announced Topship’s intended project to a banquet room full of businesspeople and other Republican elected officials in Gulfport, including then-Lt. Gov. Reeves. The Sun Herald reported Bryant did not mention that Gulf Ship had laid off employees in Gulfport days before the incentives for Topship were announced.
Jonathan Daniels, director of the Port of Gulfport, told WLOX-TV in 2019 that the Topship project crumbled because of economic problems in the oil industry.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Experts say Boeing’s steps to improve safety culture have helped but don’t go far enough
- Delaware’s early voting and permanent absentee laws are unconstitutional, a judge says
- Economists see brighter outlook for 2024. Here's why.
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Michigan will be purple from now until November, Rep. Debbie Dingell says
- Score 75% off a Coach Bag, 60% off Good American Jeans, Get a $55 Meat Thermometer for $5, and More Deals
- Primary apathy in Michigan: Democrats, GOP struggle as supporters mull whether to even vote
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Are robocalls ruining your day? Steps to block spam calls on your smartphone
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- NASCAR Atlanta race ends in wild photo finish; Daniel Suarez tops Ryan Blaney, Kyle Busch
- New Research from Antarctica Affirms The Threat of the ‘Doomsday Glacier,’ But Funding to Keep Studying it Is Running Out
- David Sedaris on why you should dress like a corpse
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Priyanka Chopra Embraces Her Fresh Faced Skin in Makeup-Free Selfie
- Officials honor Mississippi National Guardsmen killed in helicopter crash
- Jason Momoa's 584-HP electric Rolls-Royce Phantom II is all sorts of awesome
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
West Virginia Senate passes bill that would remove marital exemption for sexual abuse
California utility will pay $80M to settle claims its equipment sparked devastating 2017 wildfire
What The Bachelor's Joey Graziadei Wants Fans to Know Ahead of Emotional Season Finale
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Mean Girls Joke That “Disappointed” Lindsay Lohan Removed From Digital Release
FTC and 9 states sue to block Kroger-Albertsons supermarket merger
William H. Macy Shares Rare Update on Life With Felicity Huffman and Their Daughters