Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Johnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Johnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:44:15
Johnson & Johnson has agreed to pay $700 million in a nationwide settlement resolving allegations that it misled customers about the safety of its talcum-based powder products in its marketing.
"Consumers rely on Will Sage Astoraccurate information when making decisions about which products to purchase for their families," Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul, one of 43 attorneys general involved in the lawsuit, said in a statement Tuesday. "Any company — no matter how large — must be held accountable when laws protecting consumers are broken and their trust is violated."
As part of the settlement, which is still pending judicial approval, the health products giant will permanently stop the manufacturing, promotion and sale of all of its baby powder and other body and cosmetic products that contain talcum powder. That includes Johnson's Baby Powder and Johnson & Johnson's Shower to Shower. The company decided to pull talc-based powders off the market in North America in 2020.
J&J will make four settlement payments, starting at the end of July, to 42 states and Washington, D.C., according to the settlement.
In a statement, J&J's worldwide vice president of litigation, Erik Hass, said the company "continues to pursue several paths to achieve a comprehensive and final resolution of the talc litigation. That progress includes the finalization of a previously announced agreement that the Company reached with a consortium of 43 State Attorneys Generals to resolve their talc claims. We will continue to address the claims of those who do not want to participate in our contemplated consensual bankruptcy resolution through litigation or settlement."
The $700 million settlement is the latest development in decade-long legal battles and investigations into links between cancer and the talc used in one of its best-known products. More than 50,000 claims have been filed against the company, mostly on behalf of women who developed ovarian cancer.
Earlier this month, a jury in Oregon awarded $260 million to a local woman who claimed that the company's baby powder products were "directly responsible" for her cancer diagnosis in 2003. In April, a jury awarded $45 million to the family of an Illinois woman who died in 2020 from mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos in J&J powder.
Last month, J&J offered to pay $6.5 billion to settle the talc-powder lawsuits.
- In:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Class-Action Lawsuit
Khristopher J. Brooks is a reporter for CBS MoneyWatch. He previously worked as a reporter for the Omaha World-Herald, Newsday and the Florida Times-Union. His reporting primarily focuses on the U.S. housing market, the business of sports and bankruptcy.
TwitterveryGood! (48)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Cold case arrest: Florida man being held in decades-old Massachusetts double murder
- Inspector general finds no fault in Park Police shooting of Virginia man in 2017
- Birth control and abortion pill requests have surged since Trump won the election
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Mike Tomlin's widely questioned QB switch to Russell Wilson has quieted Steelers' critics
- ‘COP Fatigue’: Experts Warn That Size and Spectacle of Global Climate Summit Is Hindering Progress
- Surfer Bethany Hamilton Makes Masked Singer Debut After 3-Year-Old Nephew’s Tragic Death
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Nicole Kidman Reveals the Surprising Reason for Starring in NSFW Movie Babygirl
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Caitlin Clark's gold Nike golf shoes turn heads at The Annika LPGA pro-am
- The Office's Kate Flannery Defends John Krasinski's Sexiest Man Alive Win
- Vogue Model Dynus Saxon Charged With Murder After Stabbing Attack
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- California man allegedly shot couple and set their bodies, Teslas on fire in desert
- The Latin Grammys are almost here for a 25th anniversary celebration
- Get well, Pop. The Spurs are in great hands until your return
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Mississippi woman pleads guilty to stealing Social Security funds
GreenBox Systems will spend $144 million to build an automated warehouse in Georgia
DWTS’ Ilona Maher and Alan Bersten Have the Best Reaction to Fans Hoping for a Romance
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Former West Virginia jail officer pleads guilty to civil rights violation in fatal assault on inmate
3 Iraqis tortured at Abu Ghraib win $42M judgement against defense contractor
FanDuel Sports Network regional channels will be available as add-on subscription on Prime Video