Current:Home > InvestMS-13 gang member pleads guilty in 2016 slaying of two teenage girls on New York street -Capitatum
MS-13 gang member pleads guilty in 2016 slaying of two teenage girls on New York street
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:38:43
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) — A member of the violent MS-13 street gang pleaded guilty Thursday for his part in the murders of four people, including two teenage girls who were attacked with a machete and baseball bats as they walked through their suburban Long Island neighborhood seven years ago.
Enrique Portillo, 26, was among several gang members accused of ambushing best friends Nisa Mickens, 15, and Kayla Cuevas, 16, in retaliation for a dispute among high school students in 2016.
The murders in Brentwood, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) east of New York City, shook parents and local officials and cast a spotlight on the deepening problem of gang violence in the suburbs.
As president, Donald Trump visited Brentwood and promised an all-out fight against MS-13, saying he would “dismantle, decimate and eradicate” the gang.
Gang violence had been a problem in some Long Island communities for more than a decade, but local police and the FBI began pouring resources into a crackdown after the community outrage sparked by the killings of the high school girls.
Police also began discovering the bodies of other young people — mostly Hispanic — who had vanished months earlier, but whose disappearances had initially gone unmarked by civic leaders and the news media. Some parents of the missing complained that police hadn’t done enough to search for their missing children earlier.
As part of a guilty plea to racketeering, Portillo also admitted to using a baseball bat in a fatal 2016 gang attack on a 34—year-old man and standing watch as gang members shot and killed a 29-year-old man inside a Central Islip deli in 2017.
“As part of his desire to gain status within MS-13, Portillo repeatedly acted with complete disregard for human life, killing four individuals along with multiple other attempts,” Breon Peace, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York, said in a news release.
Portillo and other members of an MS-13 faction were driving around Brentwood in search of rival gang members to attack and kill on Sept. 13, 2016, when they spotted Kayla, who had been feuding with gang members at school, walking with Nisa in a residential neighborhood, prosecutors said.
Portillo and the others jumped out of the car and chased and killed both girls with baseball bats and a machete. Nisa’s body was discovered later that night and Kayla’s body was found the next day.
“These senseless and barbaric killings, including those of teenagers Kayla Cuevas and Nisa Mickens, shook our communities,” Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison said Thursday, “and reverberated around the nation.”
Portillo faces up to life in prison when he is sentenced in January for his role in the killings and in four other attempted murders and arson. He was among several adults and juveniles charged in 2017 in the girls’ deaths and the first publicly revealed to have been convicted. Two adults are still awaiting trial. The cases involving the juveniles are sealed.
A month after Nisa and Kayla’s deaths, Dewann Stacks was beaten and hacked to death on another residential street by Portillo and others who, once again, were driving around Brentwood in search of victims, prosecutors said.
Esteban Alvarado-Bonilla was killed inside a deli the following January by gang members who suspected that the No. 18 football jersey that he was wearing marked him as a member of a rival gang.
MS-13 got its start as a neighborhood street gang in Los Angeles, but grew into a transnational gang based in El Salvador. It has members in Honduras, Guatemala and Mexico and thousands of members across the United States with numerous branches, or “cliques,” according to federal authorities.
veryGood! (151)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- USF is building a $340M on-campus football stadium despite concerns academics are being left behind
- Investigators say a blocked radio transmission led to a June close call between planes in San Diego
- Canadian journalist and author Peter C. Newman dies at 94
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Prince Harry Returns to London for WellChild Awards Ahead of Queen Elizabeth II's Death Anniversary
- Former crypto executive the latest to face charges in collapse of FTX exchange
- Man gets 9 years for setting fire that gutted historic, century-old Indiana building
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Influencer mom charged with felony child abuse after son's alleged escape
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Lainey Wilson leads the 2023 Country Music Award nominations for the second year in a row
- 3 sailors rescued after sharks attack and partially destroy their inflatable boat off Australian coast
- Lainey Wilson leads the 2023 Country Music Award nominations for the second year in a row
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Prince Harry to attend charity event in London -- but meeting up with the family isn’t on the agenda
- Film festival season carries on in Toronto, despite a star-power outage
- Historic flooding event in Greece dumps more than 2 feet of rain in just a few hours
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Week 2 college football predictions: Here are our expert picks for every Top 25 game
The long road winding down at the World Cup, where semifinals await Team USA
Lawyer for Influencer Ruby Franke's Husband Denies Involvement in Alleged Child Abuse Case
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Rollover school bus crash caught on doorbell video in Wisconsin
Severe flooding in Greece leaves at least 6 dead and 6 missing, villages cut off
Peloton instantly kills man by severing artery, lawsuit claims