Current:Home > InvestGuinea-Bissau’s leader calls a shootout an attempted coup, heightening tensions in West Africa -Capitatum
Guinea-Bissau’s leader calls a shootout an attempted coup, heightening tensions in West Africa
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 00:05:27
BISSAU, Guinea Bissau (AP) — A shootout in Guinea-Bissau’s capital Friday was an attempted coup, President Umaro Sissoco Embalo said Sunday after a meeting with security forces, confirming fears over the latest threat to democracy in the increasingly volatile and coup-hit West Africa.
“They attempted a coup and failed to materialize their objective,” Embalo said, after members of the National Guard command improperly released two ministers detained over alleged corruption, resulting in a shootout with the Presidential Palace Battalion.
During a visit to the National Guard command in Bissau, Embalo said Victor Tchongo, the head of the National Guard, has been dismissed and “will pay dearly” for the attempt to depose the president.
“You are all betrayed by your commander … (and) this is why we advise you to distance yourself from politicians and do your service to the nation,” he told officers.
The attempted coup is the second in West and Central Africa in a week after last week’s failed coup in Sierra Leone. It further raises tensions in the region where coups have surged with eight military takeovers since 2020, including in Niger and Gabon this year.
West Africa’s regional economic bloc of ECOWAS — to which Guinea-Bissau belongs — noted the incident with “deep concern” and expressed “full solidarity with the people and constitutional authority of Guinea-Bissau.”
After returning from the United Nations’ COP28 climate summit on Saturday night, Embalo suggested to reporters that Tchongo of the National Guard was not acting alone.
“Tchongo was ordered by someone,” The Democrat, a local newspaper, quoted him as saying. “Tchongo is not crazy about blowing up the Judiciary Police cells and removing the minister of finance and the secretary of state. This is an attempted coup d’état and there will be serious consequences for everyone involved.”
The small nation of Guinea-Bissau has endured multiple coups since gaining independence from Portugal nearly five decades ago.
However, unlike in other coups in West Africa which have been inspired by perceived bad governance, the shootout in Guinea-Bissau started as the members of the Presidential Palace Battalion tried to rearrest two government officials — Economy and Finance Minister Suleimane Seidi and Treasury Secretary António Monteiro.
Both were being questioned over the use of government funds before the members of the National Guard secretly released them, local media reported.
Guinea-Bissau’s semi-presidential system limits the president’s powers by allowing the majority party in the parliament to appoint the Cabinet. As a result, the National Guard – which is under the Ministry of Interior – is largely controlled by the opposition-dominated parliament.
Tensions have also remained between Embalo and a coalition of opposition groups that won the majority in Guinea Bissau’s parliament in June, more than one year after the president dissolved the parliament.
Embalo, a former army general, was declared the winner of a December 2019 runoff presidential election which his opponent contested. He survived a February 2022 coup attempt that he asserted had “to do with our fight against narco-trafficking” and has since then cracked down on civic freedoms while government bodies have lost significant independence, according to analysts.
—-
Asadu reported from Abuja, Nigeria.
veryGood! (28)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- WNBA legend Diana Taurasi not done yet after Phoenix Mercury hint at retirement
- Indianapolis man gets 60 years for a road rage shooting that killed a man
- Former ALF Child Star Benji Gregory's Cause of Death Revealed
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Why is Mike Tyson fighting Jake Paul? He says it's not about the money
- Kate Gosselin’s Lawyer Addresses Her Son Collin’s Abuse Allegations
- Shohei Ohtani pitching in playoffs? Dodgers say odds for return 'not zero'
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Ex-NYC federal building guard gets 5-year sentence in charge related to sex assault of asylum seeker
Ranking
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Minnesota school bus driver accused of DUI with 18 kids on board
- Pope slams Harris and Trump on anti-life stances, urges Catholics to vote for ‘lesser evil’
- Man pleads guilty to charges related to 'General Hospital' actor Johnny Wactor's killing
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Modern Family’s Julie Bowen Reveals What Her Friendship With Sofia Vergara Is Really Like
- Injured reserve for Christian McCaffrey? 49ers star ruled out again for Week 2
- Fani Willis skips a Georgia state Senate hearing while challenging subpoena
Recommendation
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Anthropologie’s Extra 40% Off Sale Includes the Cutest Dresses, Accessories & More, Starting at $5
Shohei Ohtani pitching in playoffs? Dodgers say odds for return 'not zero'
Score Designer Michael Kors Crossbodies for Only $79 and Under From Their Outlet Sale & More Luxury Finds
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
Going once, going twice: Google’s millisecond ad auctions are the focus of monopoly claim
Line and Bridge Fires blaze in California, thousands of acres torched, thousands evacuated
A cat named Drifter is safe after sneaking out and getting trapped in a sewer for nearly 8 weeks