Current:Home > NewsMan with "boogaloo" ties convicted in shooting death of federal officer during protests over George Floyd killing -Capitatum
Man with "boogaloo" ties convicted in shooting death of federal officer during protests over George Floyd killing
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 00:05:06
San Francisco — A man with ties to the "boogaloo" extremist movement was convicted of murder and attempted murder by a federal jury Tuesday in the 2020 killing of a federal security officer in Northern California during protests against police brutality. Robert Alvin Justus Jr., 33, now faces life in prison for the murder of Federal Protective Service Officer David Patrick Underwood. The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of California confirmed the verdict.
Underwood was shot on May 29, 2020, while he stood in a guard shack outside a federal building in Oakland as hundreds marched against police brutality following the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis.
Steven Carrillo, a former U.S. Air Force sergeant, pleaded guilty and was sentenced last year to more than four decades in federal prison for his role as the gunman in the fatal attack. He fired 19 rounds from a homemade AR-15 rifle from the back of a white van driven by Justus, whom he had connected with online. Underwood was fatally struck and a second officer was wounded.
Prosecutors said Justus and Carrillo were followers of the "boogaloo" movement, a concept embraced by a loose network of gun enthusiasts and militia-style extremists. Experts say the group believes there is an impending civil war.
An attorney for Justus declined to comment after Tuesday's verdict. A spokesperson for the Federal Protective Service didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Justus testified in his own defense during the trial. He sought to portray himself as an unwilling participant and said Carrillo had forced him into the plot at gunpoint, according to the Bay Area News Group. Prosecutors, however, said Justus had opportunities to escape but didn't, showing his willingness to be included in the plan.
"In the hour leading up to the shooting, Justus exited the van twice to scout the area on foot and locate targets, returning to the van both times. Following the fatal shooting, Justus drove Carrillo back to Milbrae and the two separated," said a statement from the U.S. attorney's office.
Justus then destroyed evidence connecting him to the shooting while continuing to correspond with Carrillo about future meetings, prosecutors said.
Days after Underwood's killing, Carrillo ambushed sheriff's deputies in Santa Cruz County who were responding to a report of a van containing firearms and bomb-making materials. County Sheriff Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller, 38, was killed, and several other law enforcement officials were wounded.
Carrillo also pleaded guilty in that case and was sentenced to life in state prison without parole.
- In:
- Shooting
- Shooting Death
- boogaloo
veryGood! (65)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Selena Gomez reveals she'd planned to adopt a child at 35 if she was still single
- Meet The Marías: The bilingual band thriving after romantic breakup, singing with Bad Bunny
- Vermont police conclude case of dead baby more than 40 years later and say no charges will be filed
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Sweden seeks to answer worried students’ questions about NATO and war after its neutrality ends
- More people make ‘no-buy year’ pledges as overspending or climate worries catch up with them
- Usher, Victoria Monét will receive prestigious awards from music industry group ASCAP
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Bebe Rexha Details the Painful Cysts She Developed Due to PCOS
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- IMF upgrades its forecast for China’s economy, but says reforms are needed to support growth
- Takeaways from The Associated Press’ reporting on seafarers who are abandoned by shipowners in ports
- ‘It’s just me, guys,’ Taylor Swift says during surprise set as fans cheer expecting guest
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- North Korea’s trash rains down onto South Korea, balloon by balloon. Here’s what it means
- Dortmund seals sponsorship deal with arms manufacturer ahead of Champions League final
- The Ultimatum and Ultimatum: Queer Love Both Returning for New Seasons: Say Yes to Details
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
BHP Group drops its bid for Anglo American, ending plans to create a global mining giant
Stuck at sea for years, a sailor’s plight highlights a surge in shipowner abandonment
Porsche unveils latest hybrid, the 911 Carrera GTS: What sets it apart?
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
NATO allies brace for possible Trump 2024 victory
Early results in South Africa’s election put ruling ANC below 50% and short of a majority
Former TikToker Ali Abulaban Found Guilty in 2021 Murders of His Wife and Her Friend