Current:Home > StocksCatholic officials in Brooklyn agree to an independent oversight of clergy sex abuse allegations -Capitatum
Catholic officials in Brooklyn agree to an independent oversight of clergy sex abuse allegations
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:57:48
NEW YORK (AP) — An independent monitor will oversee the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn’s handling of sexual abuse allegations under a settlement between the diocese and New York Attorney General Letitia James.
The agreement announced Tuesday will address “years of mismanaging clergy sexual abuse cases,” James said.
Investigators with the attorney general’s office found that officials with the diocese failed to comply with their own sex abuse policies put in place after the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops adopted the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People in 2002.
In one case, the attorney general said, a priest who admitted that he had repeatedly sexually abused minors was defrocked in 2007 but requested confidentiality. The diocese kept the abuse secret until 2017 when it announced for the first time that this priest had been credibly accused of and admitted to abusing children. The priest worked as a professor at two universities in the intervening decade.
Another priest was transferred from parish to parish after diocesan officials learned of problems with his conduct in the 1990s, James said. A nun who was the principal of a school in the diocese quit her job in 2000 because she had witnessed the priest behaving inappropriately with young boys, but the diocese only issued a warning. The priest was not removed from duty or barred from interacting with minors until 2018, James said.
As part of the settlement, the diocese has agreed to strengthen its procedures for handling allegations of clergy sexual abuse and misconduct, including publicly posting an explanation of the complaint and investigation process.
An independent, secular monitor who will oversee the diocese’s compliance with the enhanced policies and procedures and will issue an annual report on the diocese’s handling of sexual abuse cases.
Officials with the diocese, which includes the New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, said they have cooperated with investigators and have worked to prevent future instances of abuse by clergy.
Brooklyn Bishop Robert Brennan, who has led the diocese since 2021, said in a statement, “While the Church should have been a sanctuary, I am deeply sorry that it was a place of trauma for the victims of clergy sexual abuse. I pray God’s healing power will sustain them.”
The attorney general’s office began investigating eight of New York’s Catholic dioceses in September 2018. A settlement with the Diocese of Buffalo was announced in October 2022. Investigations into the other dioceses, including those in Rochester, Albany and Syracuse, are ongoing, James said.
veryGood! (534)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Hailey Bieber Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Justin Bieber
- Search underway for Arizona woman swept away in Grand Canyon flash flood
- Colorado won't take questions from journalist who was critical of Deion Sanders
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- What Each Zodiac Sign Needs for Virgo Season, According to Your Horoscope
- How smart are spiders? They zombify their firefly prey: 'Bloody amazing'
- After millions lose access to internet subsidy, FCC moves to fill connectivity gaps
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- No. 10 Florida State started season with playoff hopes but got exposed by Georgia Tech
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Judge reduces charges against former cops in Louisville raid that killed Breonna Taylor
- The EPA can’t use Civil Rights Act to fight environmental injustice in Louisiana, judge rules
- Macklemore Fan Arrested for Outstanding Warrant After She Was Invited Onstage
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Divers find body of Mike Lynch's daughter Hannah, 18, missing after superyacht sank
- Head of Louisiana’s prison system resigns, ending 16-year tenure
- Colorado won't take questions from journalist who was critical of Deion Sanders
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Watch: Young fan beams after getting Jose Altuve's home run bat
LGBTQ advocates say Mormon church’s new transgender policies marginalize trans members
TikTok Organization Pro Emilie Kiser’s Top Tips & Must-Have Products for a Clean, Organized Life
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Daniel Suarez's car catches fire during NASCAR Cup Series race at Daytona
Georgia lawmakers say the top solution to jail problems is for officials to work together
Fire hits historic Southern California baseball field seen in Hollywood movies