Current:Home > FinanceSEC hasn't approved bitcoin ETFs as agency chief says its X account was hacked -Capitatum
SEC hasn't approved bitcoin ETFs as agency chief says its X account was hacked
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 12:53:11
The Securities and Exchange Commission said Tuesday that a post from the agency on X purportedly approving spot bitcoin exchange-traded funds was fake, saying its account had been breached.
The SEC's official account on the platform, formerly known as Twitter, was "compromised," SEC Chair Gary Gensler said in a post from his official account on X.
"The @SECGov twitter account was compromised, and an unauthorized tweet was posted," Gensler wrote, adding that the SEC has not yet granted any approvals of the more than a dozen applications by financial firms for the bitcoin ETFs.
The @SECGov twitter account was compromised, and an unauthorized tweet was posted. The SEC has not approved the listing and trading of spot bitcoin exchange-traded products.
— Gary Gensler (@GaryGensler) January 9, 2024
Neither the SEC nor X immediately replied to a request for comment. In a post late Tuesday night, the X safety team wrote it had conducted a "preliminary investigation" and determined the compromise was "not due to any breach of X's systems, but rather due to an unidentified individual obtaining control over a phone number associated with the @SECGov account through a third party."
The SEC "did not have two-factor authentication enabled at the time the account was compromised," the X safety team wrote.
The SEC is widely expected to give the green light this week for a number of financial firms to offer spot bitcoin ETFs, including industry giants BlackRock, Fidelity Investments and Franklin Templeton. The approvals could spur investment in bitcoin and bolster cryptocurrency industry, pouring billions of dollars into the turbulent digital assets market, according to experts.
"Either @secgov was hacked, or @garygensler was hacked, or the SEC just bungled their own announcement. All 3 possibilities are the same - the SEC was responsible for this one," Mike Belshe, CEO of crypto custodian Bitgo, said in a post on X.
The price of bitcoin jumped from $46,730 to nearly $48,000 after the false bitcoin ETF news surfaced, and then dropped to roughly $45,000 following the SEC's denial that it had approved the investments, according to CoinDesk Indices' bitcoin price tracker.
It remains unclear how the SEC's social media accounts became compromised. The SEC appeared to have regained control of its account shortly after Gensler's statement on the hack.
This isn't the first time there has been phoney information about the future of bitcoin. A false report back in October implied that fund manager BlackRock had gotten approval for a bitcoin ETF, causing bitcoin prices to surge.
—The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- In:
- Bitcoin
Elizabeth Napolitano is a freelance reporter at CBS MoneyWatch, where she covers business and technology news. She also writes for CoinDesk. Before joining CBS, she interned at NBC News' BizTech Unit and worked on the Associated Press' web scraping team.
veryGood! (623)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Judge rejects Trump effort to move New York criminal case to federal court
- Small plane crashes into Santa Fe home, killing at least 1
- Michigan Supreme Court expands parental rights in former same-sex relationships
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Former Wisconsin prosecutor sentenced for secretly recording sexual encounters
- Death of intellectually disabled inmate at Virginia prison drawing FBI scrutiny, document shows
- An Oil Industry Hub in Washington State Bans New Fossil Fuel Development
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Civil Rights Groups in North Carolina Say ‘Biogas’ From Hog Waste Will Harm Communities of Color
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Influencer says Miranda Lambert embarrassed her by calling her out — but she just wanted to enjoy the show
- T-Mobile buys Ryan Reynolds' Mint Mobile in a $1.35 billion deal
- As Biden weighs the Willow oil project, he blocks other Alaska drilling
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- 'This is Us' star Mandy Moore says she's received streaming residual checks for 1 penny
- A Federal Judge’s Rejection of a Huge Alaska Oil Drilling Project is the Latest Reversal of Trump Policy
- Planet Money Records Vol. 3: Making a hit
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Judge says he plans to sentence gynecologist who sexually abused patients to 20 years in prison
Michigan Supreme Court expands parental rights in former same-sex relationships
Biden has big ideas for fixing child care. For now a small workaround will have to do
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Permafrost expert and military pilot among 4 killed in a helicopter crash on Alaska’s North Slope
China has reappointed its central bank governor, when many had expected a change
Tourists flock to Death Valley to experience near-record heat wave