Current:Home > NewsNorth Dakota Republican Gov. Doug Burgum launches 2024 run for president -Capitatum
North Dakota Republican Gov. Doug Burgum launches 2024 run for president
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 02:09:13
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum on Wednesday formally launched his dark-horse bid for the White House, the same day as former Vice President Mike Pence.
At this launch event in Fargo, North Dakota, Burgum said called for a "leader who's clearly focused on three things, economy, energy, and national security."
His decision to move forward with a campaign came after the North Dakota legislative session ended in May.
"We need new leadership to unleash our potential," Burgum wrote in an editorial in The Wall Street Journal.
In a meeting with the editorial board of a North Dakota newspaper, the Republican governor, who easily won reelection in 2020, acknowledged that a presidential run has been on his mind.
"There's a value to being underestimated all the time," Burgum told The Forum in recent weeks, referencing the steep uphill climb he faced in his first gubernatorial race, according to the newspaper. "That's a competitive advantage."
Burgum, a former software company CEO, first ran for governor in 2016 as a political neophyte with no party endorsements and only 10% support in local polls. Though he faced a tough primary opponent in former North Dakota Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem at the time, who had been backed by the Republican establishment, Burgum ended up winning by 20 points, in part because of his outsider status in an election cycle that saw Donald Trump win the presidency, and his ability to self-fund his gubernatorial campaign — elements that may also help him with his White House run.
Burgum grew his small business, Great Plains Software, into a $1 billion software company that was eventually acquired by Microsoft. According to his advisors, the North Dakotan stayed on as senior vice president after the corporation retained his company's workers in North Dakota. As was true of his gubernatorial campaigns, Burgum intends to lean on his extensive personal wealth and financial network to fund his presidential campaign, according to Republican sources. Financially, he'd sit at the top of the emerging Republican field, along with Trump and former biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy as the wealthiest Republican contenders.
Burgum has also brandished his conservative record as governor of North Dakota, hewing to the model of another potential presidential candidate, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
Earlier this year, Burgum signed into law one of the strictest anti-abortion laws in the country, an abortion ban that allows limited exceptions up to six weeks' gestation, and only for medical emergencies at any other point in the pregnancy. After signing the bill, he said the legislation "reaffirms North Dakota as a pro-life state."
Like DeSantis, Burgum has also signed legislation to restrict transgender rights, including a transgender athlete ban, and a measure that would make it a crime to give gender-affirming care to minors.
But his advisers say he's likely to center his campaign on energy and the economy. Burgum, who was chairman of the bipartisan Western Governors Association, could also appeal to fiscal hawks. As governor, he balanced the state budget without raising taxes in North Dakota and cut state spending by $1.7 billion. He also enacted the largest tax cut in North Dakota history.
Despite his conservative record, Burgum would begin a presidential bid likely at the back of the GOP pack. Burgum's name is not one that immediately registers with many Republicans.
In his meeting with The Forum editorial board, Burgum said he believes 60% of American voters are an exhausted "silent majority" who have been offered only options on the fringes of the political spectrum.
"All the engagement right now is occurring on the edge," he said. "There's definitely a yearning for some alternatives right now."
Zak Hudak contributed to this report.
- In:
- Donald Trump
- North Dakota
Fin Gómez is CBS News' political director.
TwitterveryGood! (4)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Federal judge finds Flint, Michigan, in contempt over lead water pipe crisis
- Washington State Bar Association OKs far lower caseloads for public defenders
- Michigan woman’s handpicked numbers win $1M on Powerball. She found out on Facebook.
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Wisconsin appeals court upholds conviction of 20-year-old in death of younger cousin
- Utah man dies in avalanche while backcountry skiing in western Montana
- Going abroad? Time to check if you're up to date on measles immunity, CDC says
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Queen Camilla honored with Barbie doll: 'You've taken about 50 years off my life'
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Christina Applegate Says She Was Living With Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms for 7 Years Before Diagnosis
- Car linked to 1976 cold case pulled from Illinois river after tip from fishermen
- South Carolina Senate to weigh House-approved $13.2 billion budget
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Majority of U.S. adults are against college athletes joining unions, according to AP-NORC survey
- Stock market today: Asian shares trade mixed as investors look to central banks
- Appeals court overturns convictions of former Georgia officer who fatally shot naked man
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Pennsylvania’s Governor Wants to Cut Power Plant Emissions With His Own Cap-and-Invest Program
Chick-fil-A to open first mobile pickup restaurant: What to know about the new concept
Waymo’s robotaxi service expands into Los Angeles, starting free rides in parts of the city
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Michael Strahan Surprises Daughter Isabella With Visit From Her Favorite Celebrity Amid Cancer Battle
Michigan woman’s handpicked numbers win $1M on Powerball. She found out on Facebook.
3 men face firearms charges after Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade shooting, authorities say