Current:Home > ScamsMohamed Al-Fayed, late billionaire whose son died with Princess Diana, accused of rape -Capitatum
Mohamed Al-Fayed, late billionaire whose son died with Princess Diana, accused of rape
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:43:17
Mohamed Al-Fayed, the late billionaire whose son died with Princess Diana, has been accused of inappropriate sexual conduct including rape by multiple women and girls.
The Egyptian businessman and ex-owner of the luxury London department store Harrods is the subject of a new BBC documentary "Al Fayed: Predator at Harrods." BBC reports it heard testimony from 20 women and girls, including 13 survivors who opened up in the doc about Al-Fayed's alleged abuse. Al-Fayed died last year at 94.
At the time of the alleged abuse, he owned the Ritz Paris hotel and British football club Fulham FC in addition to Harrods. BBC says the documentary will show "the scale and seriousness of these allegations" for the first time and suggests Harrods helped cover up Al-Fayed's crimes.
Al Fayed's 25-year tenure as owner of Harrods lasted from 1985 to 2010. According to a BBC News article published Thursday, the alleged incidents took place in London; St. Tropez, France; Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; and Paris, where his son died.
An Associated Press article published last year chronicled Al-Fayed's controversial beliefs surrounding his son's death alongside Princess Diana in a Paris car crash after a paparazzi chase in 1997. According to the AP, the billionaire believed the pair were killed in a conspiracy masterminded by Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Princess Kate finishes chemotherapy andsays she's 'doing what I can to stay cancer-free'
Other claims documented by the AP said that Diana was pregnant with Al-Fayed's grandchild, and she planned to marry his son, but the royal family did not want the princess to marry a Muslim.
Harrods' new owners say they're 'appalled' by Mohamed Al-Fayed's alleged abuse
In a statement published on their website, Harrods addressed the allegations of abuse Thursday.
"We are utterly appalled by the allegations of abuse perpetrated by Mohamed Al Fayed. These were the actions of an individual who was intent on abusing his power wherever he operated, and we condemn them in the strongest terms," the statement reads. "We also acknowledge that during this time as a business we failed our employees who were his victims and for this we sincerely apologize."
The statement continued, calling Harrods "a very different organization than it was when Al-Fayed owned it," saying they "cannot undo the past" while promising to ensure "that such behaviour can never be repeated in the future."
The company said that "since new information came to light in 2023 about historic allegations of sexual abuse by Al Fayed, it has been our priority to settle claims in the quickest way possible." They added that they want to avoid "lengthy legal proceedings" for the women involved and they will continue that process for current and former employees.
veryGood! (86434)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Suspect in professor’s shooting at North Carolina university bought gun, went to range, warrants say
- Biden adds to his 'Bidenomics' flop: This new rule throws wrench in popular gig economy.
- 'Hairbrained': Nebraska woman converts dining room into stable for horses during cold wave
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- A stuntman steering a car with his feet loses control, injuring 9 people in northern Italy
- Global buzzwords for 2024: Gender apartheid. Climate mobility. Mega-election year
- Kristen Stewart Debuts Micro Bangs Alongside Her Boldest Outfit Yet
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Prosecutor seeks kidnapping charges in case of missing Indiana teens
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- No Labels files DOJ complaint about groups boycotting its 2024 presidential ballot access effort
- Former Sinn Fein leader Adams faces a lawsuit in London over bombings during the ‘Troubles’
- Now eyeing a longer haul, the US reshuffles its warships in the Mediterranean
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Why Jodie Foster Hid Her Acting Career From Her 2 Sons
- Japan hopes to join an elite club by landing on the moon: A closer look
- Chargers interview former Stanford coach David Shaw for head coaching vacancy
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Bill seeking to end early voting in Kentucky exposes divisions within Republican ranks
Could China beat the US back to the moon? Congress puts pressure on NASA after Artemis delayed
Ashley Park Shares She Was Hospitalized After Suffering From Critical Septic Shock
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
An Israeli preemptive strike against Hezbollah was averted early in the Gaza war, top official says
3M to pay $253 million to veterans in lawsuit settlement over earplugs and hearing loss
Former Sinn Fein leader Adams faces a lawsuit in London over bombings during the ‘Troubles’