Current:Home > InvestTitanic Submersible Passengers’ Harrowing “All Good Here” Text Revealed -Capitatum
Titanic Submersible Passengers’ Harrowing “All Good Here” Text Revealed
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 09:49:40
A new detail has been revealed from the Titan submersible’s tragic June 2023 implosion.
During a Sept. 16 U.S. Coast Guard investigatory hearing, regarding the cause of the implosion, the U.S. Coast Guard presented an animation of the events that unfolded just before the Titan disappeared, including text messages exchanged between the Titan’s passengers and its support ship, the Polar Prince.
According to the animation, one of the final messages sent by the submersible in response to whether the crew could still see the Polar Prince on its onboard display was, per the Associated Press, “all good here.”
On June 18, 2023, the Titan set off to the wreckage of the RMS Titanic—which tragically sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean in April 1912—when it lost signal. Two days later, the Coast Guard confirmed that the then-missed submersible imploded, killing all of the passengers on board including OceanGate cofounder Stockton Rush, Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet.
The hearing, which began Sept. 15, is being held to investigate what led to the watercraft’s implosion, and will comb through details including “mechanical considerations as well as compliance with regulations and crew member qualifications,” the Coast Guard told the Associated Press.
OceanGate’s engineering director Tony Nissen testified as the first witness. Asked whether he felt rushed to start operations on the Titan with, he responded, “100 percent.”
Still, Nissen denied that the rush he felt compromised any safety measures taken in completing the Titan.
“That’s a difficult question to answer,” he said, “because given infinite time and infinite budget, you could do infinite testing.”
He noted the submersible was struck by lightning in 2018, which led him to worry that its hull had been compromised. He explained that founder Stockton—who he called “could be difficult” to work with—refused to take the incident seriously.
Although Nissen said he was fired in 2019 for refusing to approve an expedition to the Titanic because he deemed the hull unsafe, he said during the hearing per the New York Times, he claimed OceanGate later said the mission was canceled due to issues with the support ship.
“It wasn’t true,” Nissen explained at the hearing. “We didn’t have a hull.”
Without Nissen on its operations staff, the submersible went on its first voyage in 2021 and continued to make trips until the 2023 implosion. However, investigators believe, per the New York Times, that the hull was never pressure tested up to industry standards.
OceanGate suspended operations shortly after the submersible imploded and the company currently has no full-time employees. The company will be represented by an attorney during the hearing, they told Associated Press in a statement, adding that they continue to cooperate with the U.S. Coast Guard and the National Transportation Safety Board.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (8783)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Japan shooting and knife attack in Nagano reportedly leaves 3 dead, including 2 police officers
- Police identify killer in 1975 murder of teen Sharron Prior after suspect's body exhumed nearly 1,000 miles away
- Outer Banks Star Carlacia Grant Talks Viral Trends, Beauty Regrets, and Color-Changing Lip Balm
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Italy leads revolt against Europe's electric vehicle transition
- Prom Dresses Under $100: 23 On-Trend Styles Worthy of a Viral Moment
- Why Up Fans Are Heated Over New Pixar Short Carl’s Date
- Small twin
- Rwanda genocide fugitive Fulgence Kayishema, accused of killing 2,000 in church massacre, arrested
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Britain's Princess Eugenie gives birth to baby boy
- Transcript: Ukrainian Ambassador Oksana Markarova on Face the Nation, June 4, 2023
- A 47-year-old ship could cause one of the worst oil spills in human history. Here's the plan to stop it.
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Tearful Jason Ritter Shares Why He Didn’t Think He Deserved Wife Melanie Lynskey
- French classic Citroen 2CV car made of wood fetches record price at auction, and it even runs
- Demi Lovato Says They “Couldn’t Be More in Love” With “Sexy” Boyfriend Jutes
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Russian lobbies to be part of potential prisoner swap for Evan Gershkovich, Paul Whelan
Gabriel Basso's Transformation From Child Star to The Night Agent Has the Internet Shook
The Fate of The Night Agent Revealed
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Why June 2023's full moon is called the strawberry moon — and what it will look like when it lights up the night
Revive Dry, Damaged Hair With This Mask That Makes My Strands Luxuriously Soft With the Glossiest Shine
Blinken planning to travel to China soon for high-level talks