Current:Home > ContactSen. Bob Menendez won't run in N.J. Democratic primary, may seek reelection as independent if cleared in bribery case -Capitatum
Sen. Bob Menendez won't run in N.J. Democratic primary, may seek reelection as independent if cleared in bribery case
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-05 23:43:32
Washington — Indicted Sen. Bob Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat, announced Thursday that he won't run in the Democratic primary as he faces allegations he traded his political influence for money, but said he could seek reelection as an independent if he's exonerated.
"I will not file for the Democratic primary this June. I am hopeful that my exoneration will take place this summer and allow me to pursue my candidacy as an independent Democrat in the general election," Menendez said in a video shared on YouTube.
Menendez was indicted on federal corruption charges in September and has been defiant against calls to resign, though he did step down from his powerful chairmanship of the Foreign Relations Committee.
The charges allege Menendez and his wife, Nadine, accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bribes, including cash, furniture and gold bars, while using his power and influence to enrich and protect three New Jersey businessmen and benefit the governments of Egypt and Qatar.
In the months since, superseding indictments alleged Menendez and his wife conspired to act as a foreign agent for Egypt and accepted expensive gifts in exchange for favorable comments about Qatar. The latest indictment unsealed in March accused the duo of obstructing the investigation into the scheme.
Menendez and his wife have pleaded not guilty to all the charges. Their trial is set to begin in May.
Although Menendez has faced calls to resign or retire before, the indictment in this case brought the biggest threat to his political future, prompting a slew of New Jersey Democrats to call for his resignation, including Gov. Phil Murphy.
"Unfortunately, the present accusations I am facing, of which I am innocent and will prove so, will not allow me to have that type of dialogue and debate with political opponents that have already made it the cornerstone of their campaign," Menendez said.
A fierce primary is already underway to replace Menendez in the Senate, with Rep. Andy Kim and New Jersey first lady Tammy Murphy topping the field of contenders vying for the Democratic nomination.
While Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has stopped short of calling for Menendez to resign, he has said the "Senate has certain standards that we must live up to" and that he is "disappointed" that Menendez has not "lived up to those standards."
In his video statement, Menendez acknowledged the disappointment but indicated he has no plans to step down from Congress.
"I know many of you are hurt and disappointed in me with the accusations I'm facing," he said. "Believe me, I am disappointed at the false accusations as well. All I can ask of you is to withhold judgment until justice takes place. Until then, I will continue to work my heart out each and every day, as I have for the past 19 years to fight for New Jersey, for you, your family, in a more prosperous, secure future."
- In:
- Bob Menendez
- New Jersey
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter at cbsnews.com and is based in Washington, D.C. She previously worked for the Washington Examiner and The Hill, and was a member of the 2022 Paul Miller Washington Reporting Fellowship with the National Press Foundation.
TwitterveryGood! (21)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- How 2 companies are taking different approaches to carbon capture as climate reports show rising temperatures
- Polygamous sect member pleads guilty in scheme to orchestrate sexual acts involving children
- A southeast Alaska community wrestles with a deadly landslide’s impact
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Rams QB Jimmy Garoppolo says he 'messed up' exemption leading to PED suspension
- Pope Francis opens up about personal life, health in new memoir
- Man to plead guilty in eagle ‘killing spree’ on reservation to sell feathers on black market
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- 3,745-piece 'Dungeons & Dragons' Lego set designed by a fan debuts soon with $360 price tag
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- 'The Voice' coaches Chance the Rapper and John Legend battle over contestant Nadége
- Wagner wins First Four game vs. Howard: Meet UNC's opponent in March Madness first round
- GOP state attorneys push back on Biden’s proposed diversity rules for apprenticeship programs
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Longtime NHL tough guy and Stanley Cup champion Chris Simon dies at 52
- Biden to tout government investing $8.5 billion in Intel’s computer chip plants in four states
- Kris Jenner mourns loss of 'beautiful' sister Karen Houghton: 'Life is so short and precious'
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Wisconsin Supreme Court to decide if counties must release voter incompetency records
Unilever announces separation from ice cream brands Ben & Jerry's, Popsicle; 7,500 jobs to be cut
Massachusetts man latest to plead guilty in takedown of catalytic converter theft crew
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Mega Millions jackpot reaches $977 million after no one wins Tuesday’s drawing
The Who's Roger Daltrey will return to the US for intimate solo tour
Eiza González slams being labeled 'too hot' for roles, says Latinas are 'overly sexualized'