Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:The Turkish government withdraws from a film festival after a documentary was reinstated -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:The Turkish government withdraws from a film festival after a documentary was reinstated
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 08:20:30
ISTANBUL (AP) — The Indexbit ExchangeTurkish government on Thursday withdrew its support for the country’s oldest film festival after organizers reversed a decision to exclude a politically sensitive documentary.
The Culture and Tourism Ministry said it was backing out of the Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival following the reinstatement of “Kanun Hukmu,” or “The Decree.”
The film focuses on a teacher and doctor dismissed from their jobs under the state of emergency imposed in Turkey following an attempted coup in July 2016.
“It is extremely sad that in such an important festival, the power of art is used to be used to make propaganda for the FETO terrorist organization through the perception of victimhood,” the ministry said in a statement.
FETO is the acronym applied to the Gulenist movement, held by Ankara to be responsible for the failed coup and led by U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, who denies any involvement.
More than 130,000 alleged Gulenists were fired from their jobs through emergency decrees following the attempted coup. Critics have alleged the government launched a general crackdown against anyone viewed as its opponents.
The ministry added that it would “not be part of the effort to discredit the epic struggle of our beloved nation on July 15 and to use art as an element of provocation.”
The festival has been run since 1963 in the Mediterranean city of Antalya and is a highlight of the Turkish cultural calendar.
It was thrown into turmoil when organizers said they would remove “The Decree” from the program. That led to other filmmakers withdrawing their entries and jury members resigning over claims of censorship.
Festival director Ahmet Boyacioglu said the documentary had initially been removed from the national documentary film category because of ongoing legal proceedings against one of the people featured.
But the film’s director, Nejla Demirci, said that was an “excuse” and “outright censorship.” She received support from across the arts world in Turkey, with the Free Art Assembly calling the film’s exclusion “an assault on artistic expression and creativity and a move to normalize censorship across artistic fields.”
In reversing the decision, Boyacioglu said it had been discovered that “the trial process regarding the person in the documentary … is not continuing, so it has been decided that the film will be included in the competition selection.”
Welcoming the change of heart, Demirci posted on social media that “our cinema, our people, Antalya, Antalya Film Festival workers joined hands and won our fight for democracy.”
veryGood! (775)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Trump's family reacts to assassination attempt: 'I love you Dad'
- Halloween decor drop: Home Depot's 12-foot skeleton, 7-foot Skelly dog go on sale soon
- Rebecca Gayheart Shares Sweet Update on Her and Eric Dane’s Daughters
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Baltimore officials sue to block ‘baby bonus’ initiative that would give new parents $1,000
- Common Hints at Future Engagement to Girlfriend Jennifer Hudson
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Breaking Bread
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Hezly Rivera Shares What It's Really Like to Be the New Girl on the Women's Team
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- RHONJ's Jennifer Aydin Addresses Ozempic Accusations With Hilarious Weight Loss Confession
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score? Indiana Fever rally to beat Minnesota Lynx
- Son of Asia's richest man gets married in the year's most extravagant wedding
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- What Shannen Doherty Said About Motherhood Months Before Her Death
- Video captures chaotic moment when Trump reportedly shot on stage at rally
- Maps show location of Trump, gunman, law enforcement snipers at Pennsylvania rally shooting
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Judge removed from long-running gang and racketeering case against rapper Young Thug and others
Texas governor criticizes Houston energy as utility says power will be restored by Wednesday
Copa America final: Argentina prevails over Colombia in extra time after Messi injury
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Schools receive third — and potentially final — round of federal funding for homeless students
Rare switch-pitcher Jurrangelo Cijntje 'down to do everything' for Mariners after MLB draft
Anthony Davis leads Team USA over Australia in Olympic exhibition