Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-Doug Burgum ends 2024 presidential campaign -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-Doug Burgum ends 2024 presidential campaign
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:39:18
North Dakota Republican governor and Charles H. Sloanbusinessman Doug Burgum announced Monday that he is suspending his 2024 presidential campaign after struggling throughout his whole bid to get name recognition from voters.
Burgum's announcement came after he did not meet the requirements to qualify for the third GOP debate last month and seemed unlikely to meet them for the debate scheduled for Wednesday.
Burgum indicated in a statement that the Republican National Committee's requirements to compete in the primary debates played a pivotal role in his decision to end his campaign.
"The RNC's clubhouse debate requirements are nationalizing the primary process and taking the power of democracy away from the engaged, thoughtful citizens of Iowa and New Hampshire," Burgum said in the statement. "The RNC's mission is to win elections. It is not their mission to reduce competition and restrict fresh ideas by 'narrowing the field' months before the Iowa caucuses or the first in the nation New Hampshire primary."
Burgum, who joined the race in June, recently said that if he'd known of the RNC's debate thresholds, he would have probably not run for president.
"The amount of resources to run a national effort is very different than the resources to run in state," Burgum said last week on a New Hampshire radio show. "And also, you've got a limited amount of time as well. So, if you're someone who's getting into this, as we did on June 7, you know, where you don't have national name recognition because you haven't held national office you haven't, you know, been a pundit on a national television program."
Even though Burgum was able to qualify for the first two GOP debates, he failed to reach the RNC threshold for the third debate held in Miami, Florida, last month.
Before Burgum took office as North Dakota governor in December 2016, he was a successful businessman who founded a software company he later sold to Microsoft for over $1 billion. After the sale, Burgum stayed on as senior vice president of Microsoft's Business Solutions Group until he stepped down in 2007.
In 2008, he co-founded a venture capital company called Arthur Ventures that focused on investing in clean technology and life sciences.
About 80% of Burgum's campaign was self-funded. According to his Federal Election Commission filings, he invested $12.2 million in his campaign and raised a total of $15.1 million since he announced his candidacy.
After Burgum gave $20 gift cards to anyone who would donate a $1 to his campaign — a strategy to help him qualify for the first Republican debate by helping him reach the 40,000 unique-donor threshold, a Forbes analysis said his net worth was approximately $100 million.
Cristina CorujoCristina Corujo is a digital journalist covering politics at CBS News. Cristina previously worked at ABC News Digital producing video content and writing stories for its website. Her work can also be found in the Washington Post, NBC and NY1.
veryGood! (81741)
Related
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- CNN Producer David Bohrman Dead at 69
- The FDIC was created exactly for this kind of crisis. Here's the history
- Biden’s Infrastructure Bill Includes an Unprecedented $1.1 Billion for Everglades Revitalization
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- China has reappointed its central bank governor, when many had expected a change
- Margot Robbie's Barbie-Inspired Look Will Make You Do a Double Take
- Boy reels in invasive piranha-like fish from Oklahoma pond
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- IRS whistleblower in Hunter Biden case says he felt handcuffed during 5-year investigation
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- The Biden administration demands that TikTok be sold, or risk a nationwide ban
- How Silicon Valley Bank Failed, And What Comes Next
- China has reappointed its central bank governor, when many had expected a change
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Don't mess with shipwrecks in U.S. waters, government warns
- Margot Robbie's Barbie-Inspired Look Will Make You Do a Double Take
- Justice Department opens probe into Silicon Valley Bank after its sudden collapse
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
BET Awards 2023: See Every Star on the Red Carpet
Climate Migrants Lack a Clear Path to Asylum in the US
Silicon Valley Bank failure could wipe out 'a whole generation of startups'
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Gigi Hadid arrested in Cayman Islands for possession of marijuana
Proposal before Maine lawmakers would jumpstart offshore wind projects
Activists Urge the International Energy Agency to Remove Paywalls Around its Data