Current:Home > MarketsTradeEdge-U.S. rape suspect Nicholas Alahverdian, who allegedly faked his death, set to be extradited from U.K. -Capitatum
TradeEdge-U.S. rape suspect Nicholas Alahverdian, who allegedly faked his death, set to be extradited from U.K.
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 20:29:43
An American man who allegedly faked his own death in a bid to avoid rape and TradeEdgefraud charges in the U.S. is set to be extradited back to the U.S. from Scotland after a request was granted by the Scottish government. The man is believed to be fugitive Nicholas Alahverdian, who faces charges in connection with a 2008 rape in Utah, as well as charges in Rhode Island for failing to register as a sex offender.
A Scottish court ruling in August cleared a legal path for his extradition on the U.S. warrant, but the U.K. nation's semi-autonomous government still had to sign off on the move, which it did on Sept. 28, according to the notice posted online Thursday.
The FBI has said that Alahverdian also faces fraud charges in Ohio, a state where he was convicted of sex-related charges in 2008, according to The Associated Press.
The man, known in the U.K. by the alias Nicholas Rossi, has been jailed in Scotland for several years. He denies being 35-year-old Alahverdian and says he's a victim of mistaken identity. Since his 2021 arrest in Scotland, he's done a series of bizarre TV interviews, insisting he's an innocent Irishman.
In a viral interview done by Scottish network STV News earlier this year, the accused man insisted he was really an Irish-born orphan named Arthur Knight, who has never been to the United States. He called the suggestion that he was, in fact, an American wanted on rape charges, "a vicious lie."
He was interviewed while sitting in an electric wheelchair and wearing an oxygen mask, and he was accompanied by a woman who the couple identified as his wife, Miranda Knight, whom he said he married in the English city of Bristol in 2020.
In a clip of an NBC "Dateline" interview, the accused man pointed the blame squarely at the media.
"We were once a normal family, but thanks to the media our lives have been interrupted," he says, gasping into an oxygen mask in an undiscernible accent. "And we'd like privacy and I would like to go back to being a normal husband, but I can't because I can't breathe, I can't walk. People say that's an act. Let me try and stand up…"
Then, in a bizarre move, he attempted to prove he was not faking his disability by dramatically attempting to stand up and flailing around before being caught by his wife.
A Rhode Island obituary posted online claims Nicholas Alahverdian died on February 29, 2020, "two months after going public with his diagnosis of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. He was in his 32nd year."
But in 2021, Rhode Island state police, along with Alahverdian's former lawyer and his former foster family, cast doubt on whether he had really died, the AP said.
Jeffrey Pine, a former Rhode Island state attorney general who represented Alahverdiani on the misdemeanor sex offender registry charge he faces in that state told the AP he had no doubt the man claiming to be Knight is his former client.
The man known by the Rossi alias in the U.K. was arrested in December 2021 at a Glasgow hospital where he was being treated for COVID-19, according to the AP.
U.S. authorities have said the name Rossi is one of several aliases used by the fugitive.
Hospital staff who treated him said they recognized him from an Interpol wanted notice, which included images of distinctive tattoos on his arms, and established that Rossi was in fact Alahverdian, CBS News' partner network BBC News reported.
The man claimed he was tattooed while he was lying unconscious in the Scottish hospital, in what he said was an attempt by police authorities to frame him, according to the BBC.
During the court hearings leading up to the extradition approval, Alahverdian's accent changed several times as he gave evidence. He fired six different lawyers during the legal process, BBC Scotland reported.
- In:
- Rape
- FBI
- Utah
- Rhode Island
- Ohio
- United Kingdom
veryGood! (15847)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- 'Justice was finally served': Man sentenced to death for rape, murder of 5-year-old girl
- Ohio man fatally shot Uber driver after scammers targeted both of them, authorities say
- The 11 Best Sandals for Wide Feet That Are as Fashionable as They Are Comfortable
- Average rate on 30
- Massachusetts official warns AI systems subject to consumer protection, anti-bias laws
- NPR suspends senior editor Uri Berliner after essay accusing outlet of liberal bias
- DeSantis tweaks Florida book challenge law, blames liberal activist who wanted Bible out of schools
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- CBS plans 'The Gates,' first new daytime soap in decades, about a wealthy Black family
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Fed’s Powell: Elevated inflation will likely delay rate cuts this year
- The 10 Best Linen Pants To Rock This Summer
- Is it bad to ghost low priority potential employers? Ask HR
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Civil rights attorney demands footage in fatal police chase, but city lawyer says none exists
- Kristin Cavallari Sets the Record Straight on Baby Plans With Boyfriend Mark Estes
- Federal appeals court overturns West Virginia transgender sports ban
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Closure of troubled California prison won’t happen before each inmate’s status is reviewed
Federal appeals court overturns West Virginia transgender sports ban
Is it bad to ghost low priority potential employers? Ask HR
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Alexa and Carlos PenaVega reveal stillbirth of daughter: 'It has been a painful journey'
When is the 2024 NFL draft? Dates, times, location for this year's extravaganza
Supreme Court appears divided over obstruction law used to prosecute Trump, Jan. 6 rioters