Current:Home > FinanceNY state is demanding more information on Trump’s $175 million appeal bond in civil fraud case -Capitatum
NY state is demanding more information on Trump’s $175 million appeal bond in civil fraud case
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:29:42
NEW YORK (AP) — Days after former President Donald Trump posted a $175 million bond to block New York state from imminently collecting on a huge civil fraud judgment, state lawyers Thursday called for more information on the bond’s bona fides.
State Attorney General Letitia James’ office filed papers giving Trump’s lawyers or the bond underwriter 10 days to “justify” the bond — essentially, to show that the company can make good on it. That could mean disclosing more about the collateral Trump provided.
A hearing was set for April 22.
One of Trump’s lawyers, Christopher Kise, said James was trying to provoke a “baseless public quarrel in a desperate effort to regain relevance” after an appeals court last month significantly cut the amount of the bond needed to hold off collection.
“Yet another witch hunt!” Kise wrote in an email.
A message seeking comment was left for the underwriter, Knight Specialty Insurance Co.
The bond, posted Monday, at least temporarily stopped the state from potentially seizing Trump’s assets to satisfy the more than $454 million that he owes after losing a lawsuit trial. The case, brought by the Democratic attorney general, alleged that Trump, along with his company and key executives, defrauded bankers and insurers by lying about his wealth.
The ex-president and presumptive Republican nominee denies the claims and is appealing the judgment.
By posting the bond, Trump aimed to stop the clock on enforcement of the judgment during his appeal. But it hasn’t gone entirely smoothly.
First, the court system kicked back Monday’s filing for more paperwork, including a financial statement from Knight Specialty Insurance. That was filed Thursday, showing that the company has over $539 million in assets and related reinsurer Knight Insurance Co. Ltd. has over $2.1 billion.
Then James’ office filed notice that it “takes exception to the sufficiency” of the bond — a move that judgment winners can make to get more information from out-of-state underwriters, in some circumstances.
Knight Specialty Insurance is a Wilmington, Delaware-based part of the Los Angeles-based Knight Insurance Group.
The attorney general’s notice doesn’t request specific information. But “justifying” generally means demonstrating that the underwriter is financially sound and able to pay the bond amount if the judgment is upheld.
A state appeals court also has held, in an unrelated case, that there needed to be a showing that a bond was “sufficiently collateralized by identifiable assets.”
Knight Insurance Group Chairman Don Hankey told The Associated Press Monday that cash and bonds were used as collateral for Trump’s appellate bond.
Eric Trump, a son of the former president and a top executive in his company, said in a social media post Thursday that the bond was backed entirely by cash.
The attorney general’s objection “is just another example of the absurdity and foolishness that have been the underlying theme throughout this circus of a case,” the younger Trump wrote on X, former Twitter.
He and his brother, a fellow Trump Organization executive vice president, Donald Trump Jr. were also defendants in the fraud suit. They were found liable and ordered to pay $4 million apiece.
All told, the judgment against Trump, the sons and other defendants totals more than $467 million, growing daily with interest.
___
Associated Press writers Michael R. Sisak in New York and Brian Slodysko in Washington contributed.
veryGood! (24)
Related
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- What lawmakers wore to the State of the Union spoke volumes
- 'God help her': Dramatic video shows zookeepers escape silverback gorilla in Fort Worth
- Why The Traitors’ CT Tamburello and Trishelle Cannatella Aren't Apologizing For That Finale Moment
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Barack Obama turned down a '3 Body Problem' cameo in the best way to 'GOT' creators
- North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper rescinds 2021 executive order setting NIL guidelines in the state
- CIA director returns to Middle East to push for hostage, cease-fire deal between Hamas and Israel
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Israel-Hamas cease-fire unlikely before Ramadan as Hamas delegation leaves talks, but says they'll resume
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- New York Attorney General Letitia James sued over action against trans sports ban
- Fatal crash in western Wisconsin closes state highway
- 'Sister Wives' stars Christine and Meri pay tribute to Garrison Brown, dead at 25
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- New York City Ready to Expand Greenways Along Rivers, Railways and Parks
- Worst NFL trade ever? Here's where Russell Wilson swap, other disastrous deals went wrong
- The total solar eclipse is one month away on April 8: Here's everything to know about it
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
4 people found dead inside Texas home after large fire
Black applications soar at Colorado. Coach Prime Effect?
Q&A: The Latest in the Battle Over Plastic Bag Bans
Travis Hunter, the 2
What is happening in Haiti? Here's what to know.
Killing of Laken Riley is now front and center of US immigration debate and 2024 presidential race
Government funding bill advances as Senate works to beat midnight shutdown deadline