Current:Home > MarketsJudge scolds prosecutors as she delays hearing for co-defendant in Trump classified documents case -Capitatum
Judge scolds prosecutors as she delays hearing for co-defendant in Trump classified documents case
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 11:36:15
FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) — A judge on Thursday scolded federal prosecutors in the classified documents case against former President Donald Trump as she abruptly postponed a hearing to determine if the lawyer for a co-defendant had a conflict of interest.
U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon accused prosecutors of “wasting the court’s time” by raising new arguments that they had not made in earlier court filings. She said she would set a hearing for a later date for Walt Nauta, a Trump valet charged with conspiring with Trump to conceal classified documents from investigators.
Special counsel Jack Smith’s team had asked for hearings to ensure that Nauta and Carlos De Oliveira were aware of potential conflicts because their lawyers previously represented other key figures in the case. Both men were charged alongside Trump with obstructing government efforts to recover classified documents hoarded at Mar-a-Lago, the former president’s Florida estate.
Prosecutors have said in court filings that the multiple representations could create a conflict by causing a lawyer to betray the confidences of a current or former client, or “pull punches,” during cross-examination.
De Oliveira said during questioning from U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon that he understood the concerns arising from his lawyer’s former representation of three government witnesses. Nonetheless, he wanted to keep his attorney, John Irving. Cannon ruled that he could.
Irving told the judge that he did not foresee a conflict, saying there was nothing the witnesses — who are now represented by a new lawyer — could reveal that is not already known by the government or that would be problematic for De Oliveira.
De Oliveira is accused of lying to investigators when he claimed — falsely, prosecutors say — he hadn’t even seen boxes moved into Mar-a-Lago after Trump left the White House. They say he conspired with Trump and Nauta to try to delete surveillance footage from the property to prevent it from being turned over to the grand jury. De Oliveira has pleaded not guilty.
Nauta, Trump’s valet, has also pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiring to hide documents from the FBI and Justice Department.
One of his lawyers has also represented at least seven other witnesses in the probe, prosecutors say, including a Mar-a-Lago information technology worker who the Justice Department says was asked to delete the surveillance video.
That individual retracted “prior false testimony” after switching lawyers, struck a cooperation deal and provided information that incriminated Trump and helped produce a new indictment in July against the former president, Nauta and De Oliveira, prosecutors have said.
Woodward has denied any conflict.
___
Tucker reported from Washington.
veryGood! (121)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- EU warns China that European public could turn more protectionist if trade deficit isn’t reduced
- New Suits TV Series Is in the Works and We Have No Objections, Your Honor
- 2 women charged after operating unlicensed cosmetic surgery recovery house in Miami
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Inside Sacha Baron Cohen and Isla Fisher's Heartwarming, Hilarious Love Story
- Mother of missing Israeli-American says she believes he is a hostage in Gaza
- Why Paige DeSorbo Has Her Own Bedroom at Boyfriend Craig Conover's House
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- How to help victims of the deadly Israel-Hamas conflict
Ranking
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- As Alabama Judge Orders a Takeover of a Failing Water System, Frustrated Residents Demand Federal Intervention
- Why Paige DeSorbo Has Her Own Bedroom at Boyfriend Craig Conover's House
- Company profits, UAW profit-sharing checks on the line in strike at Ford Kentucky Truck
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Trial date set for Memphis man accused of raping a woman a year before jogger’s killing
- No more passwords? Google looks to make passwords obsolete with passkeys
- Inside Sacha Baron Cohen and Isla Fisher's Heartwarming, Hilarious Love Story
Recommendation
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Darren Aronofsky says new film at Sphere allows viewers to see nature in a way they've never experienced before
How to help victims of the deadly Israel-Hamas conflict
Unpublished works and manuscript by legendary Argentine writer Cortázar sell for $36,000 at auction
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
5 Things podcast: White nationalism is surging. How can it be stopped?
Captain likely fell asleep before ferry crash in Seattle last year, officials conclude
Japan’s government asks a court to revoke the legal religious status of the Unification Church