Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Sean "Diddy" Combs Appears to Assault Ex-Girlfriend Cassie in 2016 Video -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Sean "Diddy" Combs Appears to Assault Ex-Girlfriend Cassie in 2016 Video
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-05 19:50:51
*Warning: This story contains details of domestic violence.
Sean "Diddy" Combs has seemingly been caught on Oliver James Montgomerycamera assaulting ex Cassie Ventura.
In a 2016 surveillance video obtained by CNN on May 17, a man believed to be the rapper—who's been the subject of legal accusations in recent months—can be seen running down a hallway in a towel after the "Me & U" singer before grabbing her, pulling her to the ground and kicking her multiple times. The video also shows him picking up bags that Cassie had been carrying, as well as dragging her by the sweatshirt.
Later in the footage, which E! News has not independently verified, Diddy appears to pick up an object from a table and throw it at Cassie.
"The gut-wrenching video has only further confirmed the disturbing and predatory behavior of Mr. Combs," Cassie's attorney Douglas H. Wigdor told CNN. "Words cannot express the courage and fortitude that Ms. Ventura has shown in coming forward to bring this to light."
E! News has reached out to reps for both Diddy and Cassie—who were in a relationship for over a decade starting in 2007—and has not yet heard back.
The surveillance video has emerged six months after Cassie filed a November 16 lawsuit against her ex, accusing him of rape and abuse, claims which he denied. The pair settled the lawsuit a day later in an undisclosed agreement, though Diddy's legal team said settlement was not an admission of wrongdoing.
"I have decided to resolve this matter amicably on terms that I have some level of control," she said in a statement to NBC News at the time. "I want to thank my family, fans and lawyers for their unwavering support."
One specific part of Cassie's lawsuit details an alleged incident that matches up with the surveillance video obtained by CNN.
"In or around March 2016, during an FO at the InterContinental Hotel in Century City, Los Angeles, Mr. Combs became extremely intoxicated and punched Ms. Ventura in the face, giving her a black eye," the documents, obtained by NBC News, state. "After he fell asleep, Ms. Ventura tried to leave the hotel room, but as she exited, Mr. Combs awoke and began screaming at Ms. Ventura. He followed her into the hallway of the hotel while yelling at her. He grabbed at her, and then took glass vases in the hallway and threw them at her, causing glass to crash around them as she ran to the elevator to escape."
Per the filing, Cassie was able to leave the hotel and ended up taking a cab to her apartment.
However, "Upon realizing that her running away would cause Mr. Combs to be even angrier with her, and completely stuck in his vicious cycle of abuse, Ms. Ventura returned to the hotel with the intention of apologizing for running away from her abuser," the docs continued. "When she returned, hotel security staff urged her to get back into a cab and go to her apartment, suggesting that they had seen the security footage showing Mr. Combs beating Ms. Ventura and throwing glass at her in the hotel hallway."
To learn more about Diddy's recent legal troubles, keep reading...
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
Federal agents with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) executed search warrants at Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Los Angeles and Miami properties on March 25, multiple law enforcement sources confirmed to NBC News.
The sources told the outlet the warrant was out of the Southern District of New York, and a spokesperson for HSI New York confirmed to E! News it “executed law enforcement actions as part of an ongoing investigation, with assistance from HSI Los Angeles, HSI Miami, and our local law enforcement partners.”
Law enforcement sources told NBC News the music mogul was in the Miami area when the search warrants were executed.
News about the investigation broke after Combs faced allegations of sexual misconduct in lawsuits filed by multiple accusers starting in November, with the musician denying the allegations.
“Sickening allegations have been made against me by individuals looking for a quick payday,” he wrote in a December statement posted on Instagram. “Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged. I will fight for my name, my family and for the truth.”
The day after HSI executed the search warrants at Combs' L.A. and Miami properties, his lawyer spoke out.
"Yesterday, there was a gross overuse of military-level force as search warrants were executed at Mr. Combs' residences," attorney Aaron Dyer said in a March 26 statement to E! News. "There is no excuse for the excessive show of force and hostility exhibited by authorities or the way his children and employees were treated."
Dyer noted Combs “was never detained but spoke to and cooperated with authorities.”
“Despite media speculation, neither Mr. Combs nor any of his family members have been arrested nor has their ability to travel been restricted in any way,” his lawyer's statement continued. “This unprecedented ambush—paired with an advanced, coordinated media presence—leads to a premature rush to judgment of Mr. Combs and is nothing more than a witch hunt based on meritless accusations made in civil lawsuits.”
And Dyer expressed Combs' intent to defend himself.
“There has been no finding of criminal or civil liability with any of these allegations,” he added. “Mr. Combs is innocent and will continue to fight every single day to clear his name.”
As for what actually went down during the searches, multiple law enforcement sources familiar with the warrant told NBC News authorities with the Department of Homeland Security seized phones from Combs’ home in Miami before he was scheduled to travel to the Bahamas, and several sources familiar with the matter added that guns were discovered during the search.
One source familiar with the matter also told NBC News three women and one man were interviewed by prosecutors and investigators from the Southern District of New York about allegations of sex trafficking, sexual assault, the solicitation and distribution of illegal narcotics and firearms purportedly tied to Combs.
On the same day the search warrants were executed at Combs’ Miami and Los Angeles properties, one of his associates, Brendan Paul, was arrested by the Miami-Dade police on suspicion of drug possession, a law enforcement source familiar with the matter told NBC News.
According to the Miami-Dade arrest affidavit obtained by the outlet, Paul was taken into custody for allegedly possessing suspected cocaine and suspected marijuana candy.
Prison records obtained by NBC News show Paul was released on March 26 after posting bond.
“We do not plan on trying this case in the media,” Paul’s attorney Brian Bieber said in a statement obtained by the outlet, “all issues will be dealt with in court.”
veryGood! (4113)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are surging faster than ever to beyond anything humans ever experienced, officials say
- Nearly 130 more Red Lobster restaurants are in danger of closing: See list of locations
- Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul fight has a new date after postponement
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- After editor’s departure, Washington Post’s publisher faces questions about phone hacking stories
- Gabourey Sidibe Shares the Special Meanings Behind Her Twin Babies' Names
- Appointed by Trump, Hunter Biden trial judge spent most of her career in civil law
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Kevin Jonas' 10-Year-Old Daughter Alena Hilariously Dresses Up as Him, Complete With a Wig
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Chiefs' BJ Thompson 'alert, awake' after suffering seizure and going into cardiac arrest
- The best-looking SUVs you can buy today
- E! Readers Can’t Get Enough of This Red Light Mask That Makes Your Skin Glow: Get It Now
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- New COVID variant KP.3 climbs to 25%, now largest in CDC estimates
- How Pat Sajak says farewell to 'Wheel of Fortune' viewers in final episode: 'What an honor'
- Appeals court upholds conviction of British national linked to Islamic State
Recommendation
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Woman seriously hurt in apparent shark attack in Hawaii
Iconic Victorian 'Full House' home for sale in San Francisco: Here's what it's listed for
Wisconsin Republican leader Robin Vos says recall petition effort against him failed
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul fight has a new date after postponement
Watch as fearless bear fights off 2 alligators swimming in Florida river
Get Your Summer Essentials at Athleta & Save Up to 60% off, Plus an Extra 30% on New Sale Styles