Current:Home > reviewsMen who say they were abused by a Japanese boy band producer criticize the company’s response -Capitatum
Men who say they were abused by a Japanese boy band producer criticize the company’s response
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:53:31
TOKYO (AP) — Members of a group of men who say they were sexually abused as boys by a Japanese entertainment mogul are accusing the company behind the scandal, previously known as Johnny’s, of not being sincere in dealing with the victims.
Shimon Ishimaru, who represents the victims’ group, said many have not yet received compensation. The group has asked to meet with company officials, but that has not happened, he said at a news conference with three other men who said they were victims.
Ishimaru is among hundreds of men who have come forward since last year, alleging they were sexually abused as teens by boy band producer Johnny Kitagawa. Kitagawa, who died in 2019, was never charged and remained powerful in the entertainment industry.
The company finally acknowledged Kitagawa’s long-rumored abuse last year. The company’s chief made a public apology in May. The Japanese government has also pushed for compensation.
The company, which has changed its name from Johnny & Associates to Smile-Up, said Monday it has received requests for compensation from 939 people. Of those, 125 have received compensation, it said in a statement. The company has set up a panel of three former judges to look into the claims.
“We are proceeding with those with whom we have reached an agreement on payments,” it said, while promising to continue with its efforts.
It did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday’s news conference.
The victims’ group said it has been approached by dozens of people who had been told by the company that there was not enough evidence to honor their claims. Details were not disclosed.
The company’s production business, known previously as Johnny’s, has continued under a different name, Starto Entertainment.
According to multiple accounts, Kitagawa abused the boys in his Tokyo luxury mansion, as well as other places, such as his car and overseas hotels, while they were performing as Johnny’s dancers and singers. The abuse continued for several decades.
The repercussions of the scandal have spread. In standup comedy, several women have alleged sexual abuse by a famous comic. He has denied the allegations.
The U.N. Working Group on Business and Human Rights, which is investigating the Johnny’s abuse cases, is to issue a report in June, including recommendations for change.
The Associated Press does not usually identify people who say they were sexually assaulted, but Kitagawa’s recent accusers have given their names. Critics say what happened and the silence of Japan’s mainstream media are indicative of how the world’s third largest economy lags in protecting human rights.
___
Yuri Kageyama is on X https://twitter.com/yurikageyama
veryGood! (18616)
Related
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Days after Beryl, oppressive heat and no power for more than 500k in Texas
- Did he want a cat scan? Mountain lion makes surprise visit to Arizona hospital
- Renowned Sex Therapist Dr. Ruth Westheimer Dead at 96
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Here's how to find out if your data was stolen in AT&T's massive hack
- Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco Reveal Who Said I Love You First in Cute Video
- Caitlin Clark's next game: Indiana Fever vs. Minnesota Lynx on Sunday
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- MLB draft prospects with famous bloodlines carry weight of monster expectations
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- The Secret Service is investigating how a gunman who shot and injured Trump was able to get so close
- Here's What the Dance Moms Cast Is Up to Now
- Carlos Alcaraz dominates Novak Djokovic to win Wimbledon men's title
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Alec Baldwin Speaks Out After Rust Shooting Trial Is Dismissed
- Heartbroken Olivia Munn Details Bond With Shannen Doherty Over Cancer Battles
- Minnesota Republican Tayler Rahm drops out to clear path for Joe Teirab in competitive US House race
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Donald Trump appeared to be the target of an assassination attempt. Here’s what to know
Barbora Krejcikova wins Wimbledon for her second Grand Slam trophy by beating Jasmine Paolini
My Big Fat Fabulous Life Star Whitney Way Thore Reveals the Cruel Insults That Led to Panic Attacks
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Jana Kramer and Allan Russell Get Married in Intimate Scotland Wedding
Euro 2024: Lamine Yamal, Jude Bellingham among players to watch in Spain vs. England final
Gnatalie is the only green-boned dinosaur found on the planet. She will be on display in LA