Current:Home > InvestTradeEdge Exchange:Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge -Capitatum
TradeEdge Exchange:Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:57:49
LONDON — A judge ordered Prince Harry on TradeEdge ExchangeMonday to pay more than $60,000 in legal fees to the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid for his failed court challenge in a libel lawsuit.
The Duke of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers Ltd. over an article that said Harry tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after leaving his role as a working member of the royal family.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled Friday in the High Court in London that the publisher has a “real prospect” of showing that statements issued on Harry’s behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
“The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of ‘spinning,’” Nicklin wrote, in refusing to strike the honest opinion defense.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, also has a lawsuit pending against the government’s decision to protect him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. He claims that hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by the news media threaten their safety.
Nicklin said a libel trial lasting three to four days will be scheduled between May 17 and July 31.
The $60,927 in legal fees Harry was ordered to pay by Dec. 29 is likely to be dwarfed by the amount paid to lawyers in another lawsuit the duke has brought against the publisher.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Prince Harry challenges decisionto strip him of security after move to US with Meghan
Associated Newspapers is one of three British tabloid publishers he’s suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him.
The Mail publisher failed last month in its bid to throw out that lawsuit, though it prevailed in getting some evidence barred from trial. Nicklin — who is also hearing that case — is considering what to award in lawyer’s costs for each party’s respective wins.
Harry and co-claimants that include Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley said they spent $2.1 million to prepare for and argue their case at a hearing over several days in March. The publisher, meanwhile, is seeking up to $949,000.
From phone hacking to aerial photos:What to know about all of Prince Harry's lawsuits
veryGood! (66564)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Melissa Barrera dropped from 'Scream 7' over social media posts about Israel-Hamas war
- More Americans are expected to ‘buy now, pay later’ for the holidays. Analysts see a growing risk
- All the Michigan vs. Ohio State history you need to know ahead of 2023 matchup
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Elon Musk says X Corp. will donate ad and subscription revenue tied to Gaza war
- Snoop Dogg said he quit smoking, but it was a ruse. Here's why some experts aren't laughing.
- Jamie Lynn Spears cries recalling how 'people' didn't want her to have a baby at 16
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Mother found dead in Florida apartment fire had been stabbed in 'horrific incident'
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- 'Please God, let them live': Colts' Ryan Kelly, wife and twin boys who fought to survive
- Germany to extradite an Italian man suspected in the killing of a woman that outraged Italy
- Snoop Dogg said he quit smoking, but it was a ruse. Here's why some experts aren't laughing.
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- 'The whole place shimmered.' 'Dancing With the Stars' celebrates the music of Taylor Swift
- 'Scott Pilgrim Takes Off'—and levels up
- Pope Francis meets with relatives of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Military scientists identify remains of Indiana soldier who died in German WWII battle
Nearly half of Americans think the US is spending too much on Ukraine aid, an AP-NORC poll says
NFL disability program leaves retired Saints tight end hurting and angry
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
1000-Lb. Sisters' Tammy Slaton Honors Late Husband Caleb Willingham 4 Months After His Death
Exploding wild pig population on western Canadian prairie threatens to invade northern US states
'Maestro' chronicles the brilliant Bernstein — and his disorderly conduct