Current:Home > reviewsOhio court refers case brought by citizens’ group against Trump, Vance to prosecutors -Capitatum
Ohio court refers case brought by citizens’ group against Trump, Vance to prosecutors
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 20:58:20
SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio court has referred to county prosecutors a criminal case brought by a citizens’ group against the Republican presidential and vice presidential candidates over their comments about Haitian immigrants but rejected the group’s call to issue arrest warrants or misdemeanor summons.
Springfield officials said in a statement Saturday that the Clark County municipal court found no probable cause to issue warrants or summons on misdemeanor charges against former president Donald Trump and his running mate, Ohio Sen. JD Vance. “The matter was then referred to the Clark County prosecutor’s office for further investigation,” city officials said.
The Springfield News-Sun reports that the judicial panel said particular consideration should be given to “the strong constitutional protections afforded to speech, and political speech in particular” with the election so close and the “contentious” nature of the issue of immigration.
The Haitian Bridge Alliance, a nonprofit group representing the Haitian community, last month invoked a private-citizen right to file charges over the chaos and threats experienced since Trump first spread false claims about legal immigrants there during a presidential debate.
“Their persistence and relentlessness, even in the face of the governor and the mayor saying this is false, that shows intent,” said the group’s attorney, Subodh Chandra of the Cleveland-based Chandra Law Firm. “It’s knowing, willful flouting of criminal law.”
Steven Cheung of the Trump-Vance campaign said the former president was “rightfully highlighting the failed immigration system that (Vice President) Kamala Harris has overseen, bringing thousands of illegal immigrants pouring into communities like Springfield and many others across the country.”
The 15,000 to 20,000 Haitian immigrants who have arrived in Springfield over the past several years — in many cases after being recruited to local jobs — have been granted “temporary protected status” to be in the U.S. legally.
“It is crucial to foster discussions around sensitive issues, particularly those concerning immigration, with a commitment to truth and integrity,” Springfield officials said. The city said it was “dedicated to promoting constructive dialogue and addressing community concerns transparently” and added that “the safety and well-being of all residents, including the Haitian immigrant community, continue to be our highest priority.”
veryGood! (59473)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Once a decorative darling, the invasive – and pungent – Bradford pear tree is on the outs
- Gisele Bündchen Denies Cheating on Ex Tom Brady and Confirms She's Dating Again
- What is Purim? What to know about the Jewish holiday that begins Saturday evening
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Domino and other U.S. sugar companies accused of conspiring to fix prices in antitrust lawsuits
- NASCAR COTA race 2024: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for EchoPark Automotive Grand Prix
- King Charles III Is Feeling Frustrated Amid His Cancer Recovery, Royal Family Member Says
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- NBC’s Chuck Todd lays into his network for hiring former RNC chief Ronna McDaniel as an analyst
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Domino and other U.S. sugar companies accused of conspiring to fix prices in antitrust lawsuits
- Rep. Mike Gallagher says he’s resigning early, leaving House Republicans with thinnest of majorities
- West Virginia wildfires: National Guard and rain help to battle blazes, see map of fires
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Kate Middleton and Prince William Moved by Public's Support Following Her Cancer News
- Biden lauds them. Trump wants to restrict them. How driving an electric car got political
- 18-year-old charged with vehicular homicide in crash that killed a woman and 3 children in a van
Recommendation
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Dynamic pricing was once the realm of Uber and airlines. Now, it's coming to restaurants.
King Charles III Is Feeling Frustrated Amid His Cancer Recovery, Royal Family Member Says
A total eclipse is near. For some, it's evidence of higher power. For others it's a warning
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Swiping on dating apps has turned into a career for some. Here's how they turned love into a job.
Nevada regulators fine Laughlin casino record $500,000 for incidents involving security officers
Longtime Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos dies at 94