Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Former reporter settles part of her lawsuit over a police raid on a Kansas newspaper for $235,000 -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:Former reporter settles part of her lawsuit over a police raid on a Kansas newspaper for $235,000
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 08:11:00
TOPEKA,Indexbit Exchange Kan. (AP) — A former reporter for a weekly Kansas newspaper has agreed to accept $235,000 to settle part of her federal lawsuit over a police raid on the paper that made a small community the focus of a national debate over press freedoms.
The settlement removed the former police chief in Marion from the lawsuit filed by former Marion County Record reporter Deb Gruver, but it doesn’t apply to two other officials she sued over the raid: the Marion County sheriff and the county’s prosecutor. Gruver’s lawsuit is among five federal lawsuits filed over the raid against the city, the county and eight current or former elected officials or law enforcement officers.
Gruver’s attorney did not immediately respond to emails Friday seeking comment. An attorney for the city, its insurance company, the former chief and others declined to comment but released a copy of the June 25 settlement agreement after the Record filed an open records request. He also provided a copy to The Associated Press.
Former Police Chief Gideon Cody led the Aug. 11, 2023, raid on the newspaper’s office, the home of publisher Eric Meyer and the home of a then-city council member who had been critical of the then-mayor. Marion is a city of about 1,900 people set among rolling prairie hills about 150 miles (241 kilometers) southwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and the Record is known for its aggressive coverage of local government.
At the time, Cody said he had evidence that the newspaper, reporter Phyllis Zorn and the city council member had committed identity theft or other computer crimes in obtaining information about a local business owner’s driving record. All of his targets said they did nothing illegal, and no charges were ever filed.
A federal lawsuit filed by Meyer and the newspaper alleges that the raid caused the death the next day of his 98-year-old mother, who lived with him, and he and the paper’s attorney have suggested that the raid was Cody’s response to the paper investigating his background. Cody seized Gruber’s personal cellphone and had her desk searched; she had no connection to the driving record but was looking into Cody’s past.
The raid sparked national outrage, and Cody resigned as chief in early October, less than two months after the raid. Legal experts have said the raid likely violated state or federal laws.
veryGood! (387)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- North West's Custom Christmas Gift Will Have You Crying Like Kim Kardashian
- Next year will be the best year to buy a new car since 2019, economist says
- Spirit Airlines Accidentally Recreates Home Alone 2 After 6-Year-Old Boards Wrong Fight
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- The Indicators of this year and next
- Over $1 million in beauty products seized during California raid, woman arrested: Reports
- Need a healthier cocktail this holiday season? Try these 4 low-calorie alcoholic drinks.
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Ukraine snubs Russia, celebrates Christmas on Dec. 25 for first time
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Almcoin Trading Exchange: The Debate Over Whether Cryptocurrency is a Commodity or a Security?
- As the Endangered Species Act turns 50, those who first enforced it reflect on its mixed legacy
- Shannen Doherty Says Goodbye to Turbulent Year While Looking Ahead to 2024
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- A Russian drone and artillery attack kills 6 in Ukraine and knocks out power in a major city
- Missing pregnant Texas teen and her boyfriend found dead in a car in San Antonio
- 9 people have died in wild weather in Australian states of Queensland and Victoria, officials say
Recommendation
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Parasite Actor Lee Sun-kyun Dead at 48
US online retailer Zulily says it will go into liquidation, surprising customers
'We SHOULD do better': Wildlife officials sound off after Virginia bald eagle shot in wing
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
This oil company invests in pulling CO2 out of the sky — so it can keep selling crude
This oil company invests in pulling CO2 out of the sky — so it can keep selling crude
The death toll in a Romania guesthouse blaze rises to 7. The search for missing persons is ongoing