Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:Woman pleads guilty to negligent homicide in death of New York anti-gang activist -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Woman pleads guilty to negligent homicide in death of New York anti-gang activist
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 00:42:51
RIVERHEAD,Rekubit Exchange N.Y. (AP) — A New York woman has pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in the 2018 death of an anti-gang activist during a dispute over a memorial for the activist’s slain daughter.
Annmarie Drago, 63, of Patchogue, entered the plea Friday in a Long Island courtroom and is expected to be sentenced to five years of probation, Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a statement. Sentencing was scheduled for Aug. 1.
Authorities said Drago struck Evelyn Rodriguez with her vehicle and then drove over her in Brentwood in September 2018, killing the 50-year-old activist.
The two were involved in confrontation after Drago had removed items from a memorial Rodriguez had set up in front of Drago’s mother’s house to mark the two-year anniversary of the discovery of the body of Rodriguez’s daughter, 16-year-old Kayla Cuevas, prosecutors said.
Drago was trying to sell the house at the time and did not want the memorial to scare off buyers, prosecutors have said.
Kayla was hacked and beaten to death along with a friend in 2016. Authorities said they were killed by MS-13 street gang members in a dispute among high school students.
“Evelyn Rodriguez was still mourning the loss of her daughter when this defendant dismantled her daughter’s memorial and then struck the victim with her vehicle, ultimately causing her death,” Tierney said. “We hope this plea brings some sense of peace and closure to Ms. Rodriguez’s family, a family that has suffered multiple tragic losses.”
The plea deal with probation was approved by a judge. Tierney’s office had recommended a prison sentence of one to three years but the deal approved by the judge called for only probation.
Drago’s lawyer, Matthew Hereth, did not immediately return a message Saturday. He and Drago declined to comment after Friday’s court appearance, Newsday reported. A message seeking comment was left at a phone listing for Drago. Her previous lawyer called Rodriguez’s death a “tragic accident.”
Drago was tried twice in connection with Rodriguez’s death.
She was convicted of criminally negligent homicide in 2020 and sentenced to nine months in jail, but the conviction was overturned and the judge ordered a new trial, citing prosecutorial misconduct. Her second trial ended in a mistrial last year when jurors deadlocked on a negligent homicide charge.
Rodriguez became a symbol in the fight against MS-13 gang violence after her daughter’s death.
When he was president, Donald Trump visited Brentwood and vowed a national crackdown on MS-13. He recognized Rodriguez and her daughter at his State of the Union address in January 2018.
veryGood! (44)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- In Brazil’s Amazon, rivers fall to record low levels during drought
- Bills RB Damien Harris released from hospital after neck injury, per report
- Pan American Games set to open in Chile with many athletes eyeing spots at the Paris Olympics
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Sri Lanka lifts ban on cricketer Gunathilaka after acquittal of rape charges in Australia
- EU leaders seek harmony at a virtual summit after cacophony over response to the Israel-Hamas war
- Pan American Games set to open in Chile with many athletes eyeing spots at the Paris Olympics
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- In Brazil’s Amazon, rivers fall to record low levels during drought
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Here's why gas prices are down, even in pricey California, as Israel-Hamas war escalates
- Californians plead guilty in $600 million nationwide catalytic converter theft scheme
- Federal judge imposes limited gag order on Trump in 2020 election interference case
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- 'Specter of death' hangs over Gaza as aid groups wait for access, UN official says
- Jail staffer warned Cavalcante was ‘planning an escape’ a month before busting out
- Yuval Noah Harari on the Hamas attack: Terrorists are waging a war on our souls
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Jim Jordan says he feels really good going into speaker's race
Donald Trump is returning to his civil fraud trial, but star witness Michael Cohen won’t be there
2028 Los Angeles Olympics adds 5 sports including lacrosse, cricket, flag football
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
2 people accused of helping Holyoke shooting suspect arrested as mother whose baby died recovers
Waiting for news, families of Israeli hostages in Gaza tell stories of their loved ones
Travis Kelce Has a Home Run Night Out With Brother Jason Kelce at Philadelphia Phillies Game