Current:Home > ContactEthermac Exchange-Burning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-Burning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 10:36:29
Stranded Burning Man festival goers began heading home on Ethermac ExchangeMonday as a driving ban was lifted in the northern Nevada desert.
Tens of thousands of people had been stuck after flooding forced attendees to shelter in place. As of midday Monday, approximately 63,000 people remained on site, according to Burning Man.
"Exodus operations" began at 2 p.m. local time, organizers said. Though the driving ban was lifted, attendees were advised to consider holding off on trips home until Tuesday to alleviate congestion. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office was helping organize departures from the Black Rock Desert.
"We understand participants are eager to return home, but safety is our top priority," Sheriff Darin Balaam said.
A Friday downpour had turned the festival grounds and surrounding areas into a muddy mess, leaving the roads impassable. The Burning Man entrance was shut down on Saturday, the Washoe County Sheriff's Office said.
"You don't expect this kind of rain and the effect," attendee Paul Tan said.
One person died during the festival. The death occurred during the extreme rain, but not because of it, the Pershing County Sheriff's Office confirmed.
The White House on Sunday said that President Biden had been briefed on the flooding at Burning Man and that administration officials were "monitoring the situation and are in touch with state and local officials."
While people were unable to hop into cars to leave the gathering, some opted to trek through the mud on foot, including superstar DJ and music producer Diplo. He shared a video to social media Saturday afternoon that showed several people riding on the back of a truck leaving the festival, one of whom appeared to be comedian Chris Rock.
"Just walked 5 miles in the mud out of burning man with chris rock and a fan picked us up," Diplo wrote.
Burning Man's organizers asked people not to walk out of the festival on Monday.
Despite the messy conditions, attendee Elizabeth Downing told CBS News she felt safe and comfortable at the festival.
"We were all there as a community and we actually came together and made the best of it," Downing said.
Many will stick around to watch an effigy being burned on Monday night. The burning typically signifies the end of the gathering, which was first launched in 1986. The burning had been postponed because of the weather conditions.
- In:
- Burning Man
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (3888)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Kylie Jenner Officially Kicks Off Summer With 3 White Hot Looks
- Supreme Court tosses House Democrats' quest for records related to Trump's D.C. hotel
- Tribe Says Army Corps Stonewalling on Dakota Access Pipeline Report, Oil Spill Risk
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Drought Fears Take Hold in a Four Corners Region Already Beset by the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Love Is Blind's Paul Peden Reveals New Romance After Micah Lussier Breakup
- America’s Wind Energy Boom May Finally Be Coming to the Southeast
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Latest Bleaching of Great Barrier Reef Underscores Global Coral Crisis
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Keystone XL Pipeline Hit with New Delay: Judge Orders Environmental Review
- Al Roker Makes Sunny Return to Today Show 3 Weeks After Knee Surgery
- Disappearance of Alabama college grad tied to man who killed parents as a boy
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Princess Diana's iconic black sheep sweater is going up for auction
- Bullish on Renewable Energy: Investors Argue Trump Can’t Stop the Revolution
- Queer Eye's Tan France Welcomes Baby No. 2 With Husband Rob France
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Big Brother Winner Xavier Prather Engaged to Kenzie Hansen
Wyoming Bill Would All But Outlaw Clean Energy by Preventing Utilities From Using It
50 Years From Now, Many Densely Populated Parts of the World Could be Too Hot for Humans
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Cost of Coal: Electric Bills Skyrocket in Appalachia as Region’s Economy Collapses
Could Climate Change Be the End of the ‘Third World’?
Pink’s Nude Photo Is Just Like Fire