Current:Home > ScamsCalifornia authorizes expansion of Waymo’s driverless car services to LA, SF peninsula -Capitatum
California authorizes expansion of Waymo’s driverless car services to LA, SF peninsula
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 08:06:30
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California regulators on Friday authorized Waymo to expand services of its fleet of robotaxis into Los Angeles and to cities on the peninsula south of San Francisco.
The California Public Utilities Commission approved Waymo’s application for the expansion of its self-driving taxi operations beyond San Francisco starting Friday. The company owned by Google parent Alphabet Inc. has also been operating the service in Phoenix since 2020.
In a post on X, formerly Twitter, Waymo called the commission’s approval a “vote of confidence in our operations, which paves the way for the deployment of our commercial Waymo One service in LA and the SF Peninsula.”
Waymo’s cars have become a fairly common sight on the streets of San Francisco, although they are not universally popular and have been known to come to sudden stops that have backed up traffic in the city.
The expansion for Waymo comes after California authorities revoked the license of a rival robotaxi service owned by General Motors after determining its driverless cars that had been transporting passengers throughout San Francisco were a dangerous menace. A robotaxi run by that company, Cruise, ran over a pedestrian who had been hit by another vehicle driven by a human, and then pinned the pedestrian under one of its tires after coming to a stop.
Officials in San Mateo County and Los Angeles had opposed the expansion and want more local say over how robotaxis can operate.
veryGood! (17395)
Related
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Self-driving Waymo cars gather in a San Francisco neighborhood, confusing residents
- Emaciated followers found at Kenyan pastor's property; 4 dead
- Researchers share drone footage of what it's like inside Hurricane Sam
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Prince Harry to attend King Charles' coronation without Meghan
- Poland prohibits food imports from Ukraine to soothe farmers
- Putin meets with China's defense minister in Moscow
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- In this case, politics is a (video) game
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Gunmen kill 7 in Mexico resort, local officials say
- North Korea tests ballistic missile that might be new type using solid fuel, South Korea says
- Ancient scoreboard used during Mayan ball game discovered by archaeologists
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Austin Butler Is Closing the Elvis Chapter of His Life at Oscars 2023
- Pregnant Rihanna's 2023 Oscars Performance Lifted Up Everyone, Including A$AP Rocky
- TikTokers Are Trading Stocks By Copying What Members Of Congress Do
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Their Dad Transformed Video Games In The 1970s — And Passed On His Pioneering Spirit
Salma Hayek and Daughter Valentina Are the Perfect Match in Coordinating Oscars 2023 Red Carpet Looks
Ex-Facebook manager alleges the social network fed the Capitol riot
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
You'll Be a Sucker for Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner's Matching Goth Looks at Oscars After-Party
U.S. indicts 2 men behind major ransomware attacks
Here's Where Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith Were Ahead of Oscars 2023