Current:Home > InvestUS moves carrier to Middle East following attacks on US forces -Capitatum
US moves carrier to Middle East following attacks on US forces
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-05 13:42:51
The Pentagon announced late Saturday that it will send an aircraft carrier and air defense systems to defend U.S. military troops in response to a growing number of attacks on U.S. facilities, presumably by Iranian-backed groups as tensions mount amid the Israel-Hamas conflict.
Additional U.S. military forces in the U.S. have also been placed in a higher state of readiness for a possible future deployment to the Middle East on short notice.
In a major change, the aircraft carrier USS Eisenhower and its strike group of a cruiser and destroyers is being redirected to the Middle East instead of to the eastern Mediterranean where it was supposed to join the USS Ford strike group as an additional deterrent for Iran and Hezbollah from broadening the conflict between Hamas and Israel.
MORE: US Navy destroyer in Red Sea shoots down cruise missiles fired by Houthis in Yemen: Pentagon
"Following detailed discussions with President Biden on recent escalations by Iran and its proxy forces across the Middle East Region, today I directed a series of additional steps to further strengthen the Department of Defense posture in the region," Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said in a statement released late Saturday night.
"These steps will bolster regional deterrence efforts, increase force protection for U.S. forces in the region, and assist in the defense of Israel," he added.
Over the last week, there have been a growing number of security incidents involving drone and rocket attacks on U.S. bases in Syria and Iraq that appear to have been carried out by Iranian-backed groups opposed to the U.S. support of Israel in its war against Hamas.
A U.S. citizen working as a contractor at Al Asad airbase in western Iraq died from a cardiac episode during an attack on the base last Wednesday.
In the most visible attack on Thursday, the destroyer USS Carney intercepted four missiles and 15 drones fired from Yemen, by the Iranian-backed Houthi militia that the Pentagon said may have been headed towards targets in Israel.
At the time, the destroyer was located in the central Red Sea and used SM-2 air defense missiles and other capabilities to bring down the Houthi missiles and drones.
MORE: How the US military's moves, including 2,000 Marines, will play into the Israel-Gaza conflict
Austin is also adding more air defense systems and troops to the Middle East to protect U.S. military forces in the region including a THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Air Defense) missile battery and additional Patriot air defense battalions.
"Finally, I have placed an additional number of forces on prepare to deploy orders as part of prudent contingency planning, to increase their readiness and ability to quickly respond as required," said Austin.
"I will continue to assess our force posture requirements in the region and consider deploying additional capabilities as necessary," he added.
The additional air defense units being sent to the Middle East were likely among the more than 2,000 U.S. military forces that Austin had placed on prepare to deploy orders last week. Those additional personnel were told to be ready to deploy on 24 hours' notice if needed and included units specialized in air defense, security, logistics, medical support, intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, transportation, and other capabilities.
veryGood! (46)
Related
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Third person dies from Milwaukee shooting that injured 4
- Mourners to gather for the funeral of a slain Georgia nursing student who loved caring for others
- North Carolina’s public system will require colleges to get OK before changing sports conferences
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Prince William condemns antisemitism at London synagogue: 'We can't let that keep going'
- Georgia Senate passes bill banning taxpayer, private funds for American Library Association
- Delaware couple sentenced to over 150 years in prison for indescribable torture of sons
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Alabama legislature approves bills to protect IVF after state Supreme Court ruling
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Cause of death for Adam Harrison, son of 'Pawn Stars' creator Rick Harrison, is released
- Where could Caitlin Clark be drafted? 2024 WNBA Draft day, time, and order
- 'Hairy Bikers' TV chef Dave Myers dies at 66 from cancer, co-host Si King reveals
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Vanderpump Rules' Raquel Leviss Sues Tom Sandoval and Ariana Madix for Revenge Porn
- Missouri process server and police officer shot and killed after trying to serve eviction notice
- Montana judge declares 3 laws restricting abortion unconstitutional, including a 20-week limit
Recommendation
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Gamecocks at top, but where do Caitlin Clark, Iowa rank in top 16 seed predictions?
Caitlin Clark fever: Indiana Fever, WNBA legends react to Iowa star declaring for draft
'Vanderpump Rules' star Rachel Leviss sues Tom Sandoval and Ariana Madix for revenge porn: Reports
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Disney+ is bundling with Hulu, cracking down on passwords: What you need to know
Who killed Buttercup? After mini horse found shot 'between her eyes', investigation launched
Escaped murder suspect who drove off in sheriff's vehicle arrested at New Orleans hotel, authorities say