Current:Home > MarketsEthermac Exchange-3 U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones, worth about $30 million each, have crashed in or near Yemen since November -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-3 U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones, worth about $30 million each, have crashed in or near Yemen since November
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 01:35:51
A U.S. Air Force MQ-9 drone crashed in Yemen early Friday,Ethermac Exchange according to a U.S. military official, who updated earlier information that indicated that it had crashed off the coast. An investigation into the incident is underway. According to the official, there were no reported injuries.
Iran-backed Houthi rebels took responsibility Friday for shooting down the drone.
The Houthis have brought down two other MQ-9s — both off the coast of Yemen — since November, the first in early November and then another in February. Each drone costs roughly $30 million, according to the Congressional Research Service.
The drones flying off the coast of and over Yemen are part of the U.S. military's efforts to help defend commercial and military ships against ongoing attacks by the Houthis.
Since the outbreak of Israel's war with Hamas, the Houthis have attacked or threatened more than 100 commercial or military ships in the Red Sea or the Gulf of Aden. The Houthis claim their attacks are a protest against Israel's war against Hamas and the U.S. support for Israel, but U.S. officials point out that many of the ships the group has targeted have no connection to Israel.
As a countermeasure, the U.S and the United Kingdom, with support from other countries, have conducted four rounds of joint airstrikes to destroy Houthi capabilities in Yemen. In addition, the U.S. military regularly conducts self-defense strikes against Houthi missiles and drones when it sees the Houthis preparing for an attack.
The U.S. also launched a defensive maritime operation, dubbed Operation Prosperity Guardian, with more than 20 partner nations, to defend commercial ships from Houthi attacks.
So far, only one Houthi attack has resulted in deaths. An attack in March on the Liberian-owned Merchant Ship True Confidence killed two crew members.
The pace of attacks has slowed in recent weeks, but the attacks are still continuing, including on Thursday when the Houthis launched an anti-ship ballistic missile into the Gulf of Aden. U.S. Central Command in a statement said there were no injuries or damage from that attack.
Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said earlier this month that the U.S. "certainly will continue to do everything we can to protect commercial shipping through the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, and, of course, do everything that we need to to protect our forces."
- In:
- Yemen
- Drone
Eleanor Watson is a CBS News reporter covering the Pentagon.
TwitterveryGood! (36)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Dwayne The Rock Johnson wants Paris museum to change the skin color of his new wax figure
- Anchor of Chinese container vessel caused damage to Balticconnector gas pipeline, Finnish police say
- Growing 'farm to school' movement serves up fresh, local produce to kids
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Protests across Panama against new contract for Canadian copper mining company in biodiverse north
- Israel is preparing for a new front in the north: Reporter's notebook
- Pilot who police say tried to cut the engines on a jet midflight now faces a federal charge
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Polish opposition groups say Donald Tusk is their candidate for prime minister
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Gaza has oil markets on edge. That could build more urgency to shift to renewables, IEA head says
- Manhunt underway for husband accused of killing wife in their Massachusetts home
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker takes his fight for abortion access national with a new self-funded group
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- The 1st major snowstorm of the season is expected to hit the northern Rockies after a warm fall
- Many families to get a break on winter heating costs but uncertainties persist
- New York selects 3 offshore wind projects as it transitions to renewable energy
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Chevron to buy Hess for $53 billion, marking the second giant oil deal this month
Danny Masterson asks judge to grant Bijou Phillips custody of their daughter amid divorce
Prince William to travel to Singapore for Earthshot Prize announcement on climate projects
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Four years after fire engulfed California scuba dive boat killing 34 people, captain’s trial begins
Man United pays respects to the late Bobby Charlton with pre-match tributes at Old Trafford
Police: 8 children rescued in California after their mother abducted them from Arkansas foster homes