Current:Home > MarketsEthermac Exchange-Why the NBA's G League Ignite will shut down after 2023-24 season -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-Why the NBA's G League Ignite will shut down after 2023-24 season
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 13:29:41
The Ethermac ExchangeNBA is shutting down the G League Ignite team at the end of this season, the league has announced.
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver suggested during All-Star Weekend in Indianapolis last month that this was a possibility, and it was made official with Thursday's announcement.
The league owned and operated the Ignite, and the Ignite program was focused on developing young NBA prospects, some of whom were not yet age-eligible for the NBA Draft.
"Launched in April 2020, G League Ignite has provided a first-of-its-kind development pathway for NBA Draft prospects to hone their skills, learn the professional game and receive a salary and endorsement income ahead of their NBA Draft eligibility,” the league said in a statement.
However, a changing environment, especially financially in men’s college basketball, reduced the need for a G League team dedicated to young draft prospects. The Ignite struggled this season and are 2-28 with four games remaining.
Let’s examine the G League Ignite’s demise:
Why is the G League Ignite shutting down?
When the G League Ignite started, it filled a void for young players who sought monetary compensation, weren’t interested in attending college and didn’t want to play overseas like Brandon Jennings and others did before they were age-eligible for the draft.
The financial aspect is no longer a hold-up for those players. “The decision to end the program comes amid the changing basketball landscape, including the NCAA’s Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) policy and the advent of collectives and the transfer portal,” the G League said in a news release.
At All-Star Weekend, Silver said, “The time that we formed Team Ignite, I think I was very public about the fact that I favored going to a minimum age of 18 instead of 19. As we sat down with our players to discuss that and then essentially the college market changed … a lot changed around us, and then we came to a consensus when we sat down with the players and our teams that we were better off staying at 19.
“I’d say also some of the societal concerns that were driving us to move to 18, that there seemed to be an unfairness that these players even at the highest level couldn’t earn a living in college basketball, and we, the league and the Players Association together, were preventing them from doing that. That dissipated because all of a sudden this great economic opportunity presented itself through these various programs at college.”
Did the G League Ignite have success?
The Ignite’s focus youthful roster and inexperience led to losses. But as noted, the program was focused on player development. Success for the Ignite was not measures in victories.
In the previous three drafts, 10 Ignite players were drafted, including four lottery picks.
G League Ignite players drafted
Scoot Henderson, No. 3 pick, 2023 draft
Leonard Miller, No. 33 pick, 2023 draft
Sidy Cissoko, No. 44 pick, 2023 draft
Mojave King, No. 47 pick, 2023 draft
Dyson Daniels, No. 8 pick, 2022 draft
MarJon Beauchamp, No. 24 pick, 2022 draft
Jaden Hardy, No. 37 pick, 2022 draft
Jalen Green, No. 2 pick, 2021 draft
Jonathan Kuminga, No. 7 pick, 2021 draft
Isaiah Todd, No. 31 pick, 2021 draft
Will any Ignite players be selected in the 2024 NBA draft?
Ron Holland and Matas Buzelis are projected lottery picks, with Holland slotted at No. 9 and Buzelis at No. 6 in the latest USA TODAY NBA mock draft. Tyler Smith is projected to go No. 18.
Will 18-year-olds still be able to play in the G League?
There is no change to the G League’s eligibility rule, meaning players 18 years old can still play in the G League. A handful of players that age were drafted before the Ignite began operations.
veryGood! (324)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- North Carolina Catholic school had right to fire gay teacher who announced wedding online, court rules
- Bachelorette's Hannah Brown Details Her Reunion With Ex Tyler Cameron
- Rope team rappels down into a rock quarry to rescue a mutt named Rippy
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- What to watch this weekend, from the latest 'Planet of the Apes' to the new 'Doctor Who'
- He's been in an LA hospital for weeks and they have no idea who he is. Can you help?
- What to watch this weekend, from the latest 'Planet of the Apes' to the new 'Doctor Who'
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Artemi Panarin, Alexis Lafrenière fuel Rangers' comeback in Game 3 win vs. Hurricanes
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- An education board in Virginia votes to restore Confederate names to 2 schools
- Biden campaign ramps up outreach to Black voters in Wisconsin as some organizers worry about turnout
- Israeli Eurovision contestant booed, heckled with 'Free Palestine' chants in rehearsal
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Roast Me (Freestyle)
- Virginia budget leaders reach compromise with governor on state spending plan
- Justin Bieber and Hailey Bieber are expecting a baby, renew their vows
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Maggie Goodlander, wife of national security adviser Jake Sullivan, launches congressional campaign in New Hampshire
Meet the new 'Doctor Who': Ncuti Gatwa on the political, 'fashion forward' time-traveling alien
Court upholds a Nebraska woman’s murder conviction, life sentence in dismemberment killing
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
WNBA to expand to Toronto, per report. Team would begin play in 2026.
Mom goes viral for 'Mother’s Day rules' suggesting grandmas be celebrated a different day
Man pleads no contest to manslaughter in Detroit police officer’s 2019 killing