Current:Home > MyDakota Pipeline Protest Camp Is Cleared, at Least 40 Arrested -Capitatum
Dakota Pipeline Protest Camp Is Cleared, at Least 40 Arrested
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 00:20:28
This story was updated on Feb. 23.
While many activists left the site of a months-long protest against the Dakota Access pipeline voluntarily as a deadline passed for them to clear the area on Wednesday, some protesters decided to defy the order to leave. Eventually, at least 40 were arrested at the site, according to law enforcement officials.
As the 2 p.m. deadline approached on Wednesday, a live video feed provided by the volunteer media group Unicorn Riot showed fires burning, apparently set by some protesters, as snow fell on a largely deserted site on the banks of the Missouri River near Cannon Ball, N.D. Law enforcement officers remained on the periphery as the deadline came and went.
The live video on Thursday showed that humvees and other armored vehicles had surrounded the area, as at least two bulldozers had entered the camp and begun clearing the grounds. By Thursday afternoon, the number of those arrested had reached at least 40.
Maxine Herr, a spokeswoman for the Morton County Sheriff’s Department, said that about 100 protesters boarded a bus and vans, provided by a local church, to travel to a center that the state had set up on Wednesday. She said anyone who arrived at the center would be given a voucher for food and one night at a hotel, as well as a one-way bus ticket home, wherever that may be.
Earlier on Wednesday, Chase Iron Eyes, a Standing Rock Sioux member, told Reuters that protesters would make their own decisions about whether to stay behind despite an order to leave. “Some will get arrested,” he said.
Gov. Doug Burgum issued an emergency order last week with the Wednesday deadline to the leave the site. State officials had said they are concerned that warmer weather could cause snowmelt to flood the area, endangering anyone who remained and potentially polluting nearby waterways with trash that has accumulated there.
Legal challenges to the pipeline remain pending. The line, which would carry oil from North Dakota more than 1,000 miles to Illinois, is largely completed. But one piece that crosses under Lake Oahe, a dammed section of the Missouri River that provides drinking water to the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation, has sparked months of protests and lawsuits from Native American tribes and advocacy groups.
Last week, the Standing Rock and Cheyenne River Sioux filed a motion asking a federal court to revoke the easement that the Army Corps had issued to allow Energy Transfer Partners to build the final stage of the pipeline under Lake Oahe. The motion argued that the Corps’ decision to issue the easement without undertaking an environmental impact statement was in violation of federal law and of the agency’s responsibility to protect the tribes’ treaty rights.
The judge is also expected to rule soon on a separate challenge by the Cheyenne River Sioux alleging that the pipeline could pollute water the tribe uses in religious ceremonies.
Energy Transfer Partners has been filing updates on the status of construction with the court. The latest, from Tuesday, said the company is working on a hole it drilled under the lake to ready it for the pipes. It said the pipeline could be ready to begin carrying oil within a few weeks.
In December, the Army Corps said it would conduct an environmental impact statement before allowing Energy Transfer Partners to complete the final section of the pipeline. Just days after taking office, however, President Donald Trump issued an executive order seeking to reverse that decision and calling for a speedy approval. The Corps issued the easement earlier this month.
Some protesters who cleared the site began gathering in neighboring camps on reservation land. Kandi Mossett, who has helped organize the protests with the Indigenous Environmental Network but who was not at the camp on Wednesday, said the activists would continue the fight with a march they are planning in Washington D.C. on March 10.
“It’s not just this community and just this pipeline that’s being impacted by the oil industry,” she said, noting that a large amount of North Dakota’s drilling is occurring on another Indian reservation in the northwestern part of the state, Fort Berthold. “It’s the big picture thinking that we’re trying to spread.”
veryGood! (91)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- 'Modern-day-mafia': 14 charged in Florida retail theft ring that stole $20 million in goods
- Public school teacher appointed as new GOP House of Delegates member
- COVID-19 treatments to enter the market with a hefty price tag
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- 176,000 Honda Civic vehicles recalled for power steering issue
- On Halloween, here's how to dress up as earth's scariest critter — with minimal prep
- Free Taco Bell up for grabs with World Series 'Steal a Base, Steal a Taco' deal: How to get one
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Pittsburgh synagogue massacre 5 years later: Remembering the 11 victims
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Maine shooting press conference: Watch officials share updates on search for Robert Card
- How Kendall Jenner and Hailey Bieber Toasted to Kylie Jenner's New Fashion Line Khy
- Leo Brooks, a Miami native with country roots, returns to South Florida for new music festival
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Kristen Stewart Shares Update on Wedding Plans With Fiancée Dylan Meyer—and Guy Fieri
- UN General Assembly set to vote on nonbinding resolution calling for a `humanitarian truce’ in Gaza
- Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo on Chris 'Mad Dog' Russo retiring: 'A deal's a deal'
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Inmate suspected in prison attack on Kristin Smart’s killer previously murdered ‘I-5 Strangler’
U2's free Zoo Station exhibit in Las Vegas recalls Zoo TV tour, offers 'something different'
Richard Moll, who found fame as a bailiff on the original sitcom ‘Night Court,’ dies at 80
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Her 6-year-old son shot his teacher. Now she is being sentenced for child neglect
Video shows bear hitting security guard in Aspen resort's kitchen before capture
Judge in Young Dolph case removes himself based on appeals court order