Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|UN suspends and detains 8 peacekeepers in Congo over allegations of sexual exploitation -Capitatum
TrendPulse|UN suspends and detains 8 peacekeepers in Congo over allegations of sexual exploitation
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 09:44:11
GOMA,TrendPulse Congo (AP) — The United Nations has suspended and detained eight peacekeepers in eastern Congo over allegations of sexual exploitation, a U.N. official said.
A statement from the U.N. on Wednesday said it has taken “strong measures in response to reports of serious misconduct by peacekeepers.” The peacekeepers have been confined pending further details and a full investigation.
According to a U.N. official, the eight peacekeepers are from South Africa and they were detained in the city of Beni in North Kivu province after being caught with prostitutes at an unauthorized bar after curfew. The official was not authorized to speak about the specifics of the case and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Conflict has been simmering in eastern Congo for decades where more than 120 armed groups are fighting in the region, mostly for land and control of mines with valuable minerals, while some groups are trying to protect their communities.
More than 12,000 U.N. peacekeepers operate in the country. Their mission is to protect civilians, deter armed groups, and build the capacity of state institutions and services.
Despite the presence of the peacekeepers in Congo for decades, the conflict has continued and is increasing.
Scores of civilians, including women and children, have been killed by the M23 rebels in the east. Earlier this week, at least four people were killed — including two Chinese nationals — when armed men attacked a mining village in Fizi territory in South Kivu province, according to local officials.
In recent months, deadly protests have erupted against the U.N. mission with demonstrators accusing it of not doing enough to protect them. Congo’s government has said it wants the U.N. to withdraw from the country in 2024.
Accusations of sexual abuse by peacekeepers in Congo are not new and in the past have been considered the epicenter of the U.N.'s sexual abuse crisis.
In 2017, of the 2,000 sexual abuse and exploitation complaints made against the U.N. worldwide over the past 12 years, more than 700 occurred in Congo.
___
Kamale reported from Kinshasa. Associated Press reporter Sam Mednick contributed from Cotonou, Benin.
veryGood! (1225)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- 3 workers remain hospitalized after collapse of closed bridge in rural Mississippi killed co-workers
- Biting or balmy? See NOAA's 2024 winter weather forecast for where you live
- Cleveland Guardians look cooked in ALCS. Can they fight back vs. Yankees?
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Dennis Eckersley’s daughter gets suspended sentence in baby abandonment case
- Uphill battles that put abortion rights on ballots are unlikely to end even if the measures pass
- Texas Supreme Court halts Robert Roberson's execution after bipartisan fight for mercy
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- A man has been charged with murder in connection with an Alabama shooting that left 4 dead
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Biting or balmy? See NOAA's 2024 winter weather forecast for where you live
- One Direction members share joint statement on Liam Payne death: 'Completely devastated'
- BOC's First Public Exposure Sparks Enthusiastic Pursuit from Global Environmental Funds and Renowned Investors
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Former porn shop worker wants defamation lawsuit by North Carolina lieutenant governor dismissed
- Canadian former Olympic snowboarder wanted in US drug trafficking case
- It's National Pasta Day: Find deals at Olive Garden, Carrabba's, Fazoli's and more
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
One Direction's Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Louis Tomlinson & Zayn Malik Break Silence on Liam Payne Death
Pollution From World’s Militaries in Spotlight at UN Summit
3 states renew their effort to reduce access to the abortion drug mifepristone
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
New Jersey internet gambling revenue set new record in Sept. at $208 million
US presidential election looms over IMF and World Bank annual meetings
'Dune: Prophecy' cast, producers reveal how the HBO series expands on the films