Current:Home > reviewsMassachusetts man known as 'Bad Breath Rapist' found in California after years on the run -Capitatum
Massachusetts man known as 'Bad Breath Rapist' found in California after years on the run
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-05 19:56:00
A man was arrested Tuesday who authorities believe is the "bad breath rapist" convicted nearly 17 years ago of sexually assaulting a coworker in Massachusetts.
Tuen Lee was taken into custody in California, Massachusetts State Police announced.
He is accused of breaking into a coworker's home and sexually assaulting her on Feb. 2, 2005 in Quincy, Massachusetts. Lee had been on the run since he was convicted for the assault in 2007, according to a docket filed in Norfolk County District Court.
According to authorities, he spent at least 15 years living with a woman in California who had no idea of his criminal history.
'Bad breath rapist' found guilty in 2007
Police arrested Lee shortly after the 2005 assault occurred "identified by DNA and his horrible breath," hence the nickname "The Bad Breath Rapist."
According to authorities, the case went to trial in Norfolk Superior Court and after two days of deliberation, the jury found Lee guilty on all charges. He had already left the state though, police said.
Lawyer who represented Lee says it's a 'sad case'
Philip Tracy, who previously represented Lee, told USA TODAY Wednesday that if Lee’s family wants him to, he’ll do the best he can for his sentencing.
“He has been found guilty,” Tracy told USA TODAY. “The thoughts of appeal are long gone because he took off. We would argue for a humane sentence under the circumstances. Check his mental health.”
Lee could also choose to get a new lawyer or a public defender, Tracy said.
“I am ready, willing and able to try to give the best I can,” he said.
He said he was "disappointed" that his client left the way he did and the jury stayed out for a few days even after Lee left.
"It's a sad case," Tracy said.
Lee was on the run for nearly 2 decades
Authorities said that multiple agencies spent “hundreds of hours” trying to find Lee over the years, including the Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section Metro Team and Quincy police detectives.
Lee was even featured on shows such as “America's Most Wanted,” authorities said, adding that they got a lead in early 2024 regarding his whereabouts. They found the address to a multi-million dollar home in Diablo, California owned by a woman who runs a flower shop.
Investigators found photos online that they believed to be Lee and worked together to trail him and on Tuesday, saw Lee and a woman leave the home and get into a car.
Danville police conducted a traffic stop, during which Lee gave them a fake name but later offered them his real name. Investigators used fingerprints to confirm his identity as well.
Police said the woman he was with for 15 years in California never knew his real identity.
Lee was taken to the Danville Police Department for booking and will be held there until he is taken back to Massachusetts.
Saleen Martin is a reporter on USA TODAY's NOW team. She is from Norfolk, Virginia – the 757. Follow her on Twitter at@SaleenMartin or email her at[email protected].
veryGood! (9427)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Survivors sue Illinois over decades of sexual abuse at Chicago youth detention center
- John Mayall, tireless and influential British blues pioneer, dies at 90
- Darryl Joel Dorfman Leads SSW Management Institute’s Strategic Partnership with BETA GLOBAL FINANCE for SCS Token Issuance
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Agreement halts Cowboys owner Jerry Jones’ countersuit trial against woman who says he’s her father
- Democratic delegates cite new energy while rallying behind Kamala Harris for president
- John Mulaney's Ex Anna Marie Tendler Details Her 2-Week Stay at Psychiatric Hospital
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- An Alaska veteran is finally getting his benefits — 78 years after the 103-year-old was discharged
Ranking
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Fans drop everything, meet Taylor Swift in pouring rain at Hamburg Eras Tour show
- See “F--king Basket Case” Kim Zolciak Break Down Over Kroy Biermann Divorce in Surreal Life Tease
- Democrats hope Harris’ bluntness on abortion will translate to 2024 wins in Congress, White House
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- The Daily Money: Kamala Harris and the economy
- Rays SS Taylor Walls says gesture wasn’t meant as Trump endorsement and he likely won’t do it again
- Conan O'Brien Admits He Was Jealous Over Ex Lisa Kudrow Praising Costar Matthew Perry
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Survivors sue Illinois over decades of sexual abuse at Chicago youth detention center
John Mayall, tireless and influential British blues pioneer, dies at 90
Fans drop everything, meet Taylor Swift in pouring rain at Hamburg Eras Tour show
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Ethiopia mudslides death toll nears 230 as desperate search continues in southern Gofa region
Starbucks offering half-price drinks for a limited time Tuesday: How to redeem offer
Patrick Dempsey's Daughter Talula Dempsey Reveals Major Career Move