Current:Home > InvestA rebel attack on Burundi from neighboring Congo has left at least 20 dead, the government says -Capitatum
A rebel attack on Burundi from neighboring Congo has left at least 20 dead, the government says
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:46:14
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — At least 20 people have been killed in Burundi following an attack by a rebel group based in the neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo, a Burundian government spokesman said Saturday.
Among those killed were 12 children and three women, two of whom were pregnant, spokesman Jérôme Niyonzima said in a statement.
The attack targeted nine homes on Friday evening in the western town of Vugizo, close to the Lake Tanganyika border with Congo, according to the Burundian government.
RED-Tabara, a Burundian armed rebel group based in South Kivu, eastern Congo, claimed responsibility for the attack in a post on X, formerly Twitter. The group, which denied having targeted civilians, claimed to have killed nine soldiers and a police officer.
Burundian authorities consider RED-Tabara a terrorist movement. The group first appeared in 2011 and has been accused of a string of attacks in Burundi since 2015.
Witnesses who spoke to The Associated Press said the rebels appeared to be wearing Burundian army uniform and civilians were “left to their own devices” after the military and police fled.
“We realized they were attackers when they attacked the police position guarding the border,” said Priscille Kanyange, a farmer. “Many people here were injured by bullets (as they were) trying to flee.”
Farmer Innocent Hajayandi, who witnessed the attack said security forces fled, “leaving the residents to their own devices.”
André Kabura a grocery shop owner, who was wounded in both legs by gunfire, said the military and police were slow to regroup and fend off the attackers.
On Friday, Burundian President Évariste Ndayishimiye told army, police and intelligence officers to remain vigilant, warning that “the enemy never sleeps even if we have security.”
In August last year, Burundi deployed soldiers to eastern Congo as part of a regional force invited by Congo to tackle the resurgence of the M23 rebel group there. Some observers believed that the Burundi troops from the seven-nation East African Community force would be used to crush RED-Tabara.
However, the East African Regional force is currently being withdrawn in phases from the violence-plagued eastern Congo following complaints from locals and authorities that instead of disarming the rebels, the forces were cohabiting with them.
The Burundi Human Rights Initiative said Burundi had secretly deployed hundreds of troops and militia to Congo in 2021 to fight RED-Tabara. The impact of that secret deployment is not clear.
veryGood! (925)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Which restaurants are open Christmas Eve? Hours, status of Starbucks, McDonald's, more
- DK Metcalf meets sign language teacher in person for first time ahead of Seahawks-Titans game
- Iran’s navy adds sophisticated cruise missiles to its armory
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Ole Miss football lands top player in transfer portal, former Texas A&M defensive lineman
- DK Metcalf meets sign language teacher in person for first time ahead of Seahawks-Titans game
- Are grocery stores open Christmas Day 2023? See details for Costco, Kroger, Publix, more
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Michigan State basketball freshman Jeremy Fears shot in leg in hometown, has surgery
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Holidays can be 'horrible time' for families dealing with rising costs of incarceration
- Michigan State freshman point guard shot in leg while on holiday break in Illinois
- How Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas Are Celebrating the Holidays Amid Their Divorce
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Kourtney Kardashian Reveals What She's Prioritizing Amid Postpartum Wellness Journey
- Former New Mexico attorney general and lawmaker David Norvell dies at 88
- Police suspect carbon monoxide killed couple and their son in western Michigan
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Suspect arrested in alleged theft of a Banksy stop sign decorated with military drones
Contrary to politicians’ claims, offshore wind farms don’t kill whales. Here’s what to know.
UFO or balloon? Unidentified object spotted over Air Force One may have simple explanation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Iran Summons Russian envoy over statement on Persian Gulf disputed islands
What restaurants are open Christmas Day 2023? Details on McDonald's, Starbucks, Chick-fil-A
UFO or balloon? Unidentified object spotted over Air Force One may have simple explanation